Thread: Liberty City Surrounds Map

Guild Novice

Map Liberty City Surrounds Map

Hi All,

Been some amount of time since I've posted here but I thought I'd drop in what I've been working on of late.

I'm designing a map of the general area around the city in which a friend of mine is running a DnD campaign. He is using a series of supplements for a city called "Liberty" but these supplements don't have much on the outside world so I had a lot of freedom.

I'm using ArcGIS ArcInfo to design this map, mostly because I use it all day at work
    http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcinfo/index.html

The map wasn't looking that hot originally as professional real world mapping applications don't try to get the look and feel of historical work so finding hill-signs and proper symbol sets was a problem.
    ie what it first started to look like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Liberty Map4.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	868.6 KB 
ID:	16013

However I found a great article on using ArcGIS and reproducing the look and feel of Caribbean Sea maps from the 1500s:
    http://mappingcenter.esri.com/index....maps.caribbean

Anyways this is how it looks currently (not finished yet):

Name:	Liberty Map10.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	16012

Cheers,
    Halfpint
    Last edited by Halfpint; 08-18-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Nice link!

and nice work on the map so far.. the mountains seem to be a different brush colour, or was that intentional?

That would be my only constructive comment towards it though, it's looking very nice. Interesting woodcut effect around the coast, too!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Novice

Hmm I didn't notice the mountains being different I'll take a closer look.

The woodcut effect is accomplished via ArcGIS by taking the original land polygon, note I didn't include the minor islands as I only wanted the wood cut to reflect the shape of the general landscape:

Name:	Base.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	16016

And creating a series of buffers at various distances away, while the distances were mostly equal the shading varies from dense lines to intermittent "cuts" the farther from the landscape you get:

Name:	Buffers.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	16015

Then a series of "wood cutting" effects are placed into each buffer with the original polygon layered back on top with a old paper effect. You could likely accomplish a similar effect with Photoshop or Illustrator by stretching the object in all directions.

Name:	All.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	531.7 KB 
ID:	16014

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Some pretty cool stuff there...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I'll have to see what I can about replicating that effect in photoshop. Thanks for the steps!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."