So... I'm currently knee-deep in an evening MBA program, and right now I'm taking this entrepreneurship class. On Thursday I have to submit an assignment where I detail a few entrepreneurial ideas, and we were given a creativity-aid to help get us started.

In flipping through that aid, I came across an idea that suggested using your hobby as the basis for a business plan - but you can't just use your hobby, you have to come up with a unique angle, and think about the problems that exist in the way things are currently done in your hobby and propose a solution that would add value.

So... my favorite hobbies: writing and reading fantasy & science fiction, producing and appreciating art with a fantasy or sci-fi theme, and enjoying all other forms of media where I might find a fantasy or sci-fi theme. So, I've been pondering how that could translate this into a business, particularly on the "production" side is where my interest most specifically lies. So, I've been trying to get my head into this, and figure out what the problem is, currently, with the production and distribution of fantasy and sci-fi themed media.

The only idea I've come up with so far is something like IP/license management, based on the idea that (a) sometimes creatives in one medium have a great idea but lack the skills to fully express that idea across multiple media and (b) the traditional method of "licensing" popular IP in one medium to other media often produces lackluster results in the alternative media format, I suspect due to a lack of passion for the IP/project from the non-originating creatives in the other media to whom the license is given. Still... I'm not sure how to monetize this concept.

So... I thought I'd ask you guys, where there are many professional creatives/producers of fantasy and sci-fi themed media, and where there are many ardent consumers of the same. In your opinions, what are the major problems, currently, with the production and distribution of fantasy and sci-fi themed media - novels, short stories, games (Video/Computer, RPGs, Board games, etc.), art, films, music, etc?