Thread: Creative use of Civilization IV

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Creative use of Civilization IV

To me, the hardest part of mapping is coming up with the initial world layout, after that, developing the map is easy (well, easier). The other day while thinking of a new world to map, I realized I had a video game that generates random world maps every time I play, as well as adding resource locations in a semi logical manner. It took a couple of days to get around to it, but I just hopped in and generated a new world for this very purpose.

You start out choosing basic characteristics for your world, and from there it generates a random map.

Once you start the game, you can select the world builder mode in order to clear the fog of war and reveal the entire map.

The settings I used to generate this map were Fractal, Huge, medium water level, Temperate, and Renaissance timeframe. I chose renaissance so that all resources up to that point would be revealed. Had I chosen the default setting, my people wouldve been cavemen, and most resources would have been hidden since cavemen cant use iron and other such resources. If I chose modern, then resources like uranium would also be on the map.

Most of the images are way zoomed out, but for the 3rd image I zoomed in so you could see the resources actually on the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIV Gen 01.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	15776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIV Gen 02.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	15777   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Civmap 01.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	15778   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Civmap 02.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	15779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Civmap 03.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	15780