Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dawn of the West: Redesign Part 2

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

What he is referring to is this. I am writing a narrative description in point form of the land (divided into quadrants) and that is so any of you can exercise your minds-eye in creating a coastline for it.

I am to close to it to make something new (CM may or may not be, that's up to him to decide) so I figured opening it up to you guys would get some fresh perspectives.

Working on the descriptor now.

Okay imagine a square box 3000 x 3000 pixels wide.

Here's a reference image.

Now in each quadrant I will describe the most important aspects of what needs to be there. Islands and such I will add later, but this is the lay of the land for the most part.

If you can draw it, you are my hero

I appreciate all efforts and kindly ask the right to even frankenstien different ones together to get a final product.

ALL contributors, not matter how small a piece I use of their coastline willl get FULL credit as contributing cartographers (especially if this sees print). Also you reserve the right to use your coastline submission for any projects you see fit with no contestation from me.

Okay let's get on with the description.

Northwest Quadrant

• A the top of the quadrant is the western end of the Viking lands. Fjords and such.
    • The Viking lands make the north shore of a large sea, the Galfas Sea.
    • The opposite shore is made up of the north coast of Pendria/Shale/Colwyn, with Shale having a jutting point where Loch Lothian is and where the city of Highguard lays.
    • Right at the far right side of the quadrant, coming off the sea, is Blackfish Bay, a good sized and daggerlike bay that runs from north to south, larger in the north.
    • The land mass on the left of Blackfish bay is where Ambria (lower part), the Riverlands (feeding into Blackfish Bay) and Colwyn (making the top part and curving to the left with Galfas Sea) are.
    • The far left of the landmass sits on a vast ocean and moves south and curves in making the north shore of Tengle Bay, a large bay that runs east to west.

Northeast Quadrant

• The top of this quadrant is the eastern continuation of the Viking lands that have a good sized bay coming off the sea on the northeastern side. It goes from left to right, but not more than half way through the quadrant.
    • The southern part of this bay is a long stretch of land that ends in a largish peninsula that curves out making the southern shore of the sea from the NW Quadrant.
    • That shore continues westward (left) to eventually curve south, making the eastern (right) shore of Black Fishbay.
    • The upper right hand corner of this quadrant has a large chunk of a sea that we cannot see all over in the east.
    • the rest of this quadrant is land.

Southwest Quadrant

• Tengle Bay dominates the top part of this quadrant, with it’s right side curving down to make the plain and house the city of Kestle at the mouth of the Greyhawk river.
    • The south shore of Tengle Bay heads to the west (left) side of the quadrant, before curving southwards (down).
    • The west coast of this land mass travels south, making up Caralon, and then round out and heads back to the east (right)
    • This travels at an angle to the middle bottom of the quadrant making the shore of seas below.
    • It curves back north (topwards) about 3/4ths of the way towards the middle, making another shore line.
    • At the top of this shoreline is a great lake/inland sea (the western half, the eastern half is in the southeast quadrant) with a largish peninsula that creates a reach off the western (left) side of the lake.

Souteast Quadrant

• The shattered shore makes up the eastern (right) part of the gulf that leads to the inland sea/lake.
    • The easterm part of this lake/sea is mostly in the upper left corner of this quadrant.
    • Off of (above) the shattered shore is a small but pronounced bay that leads south to north.
    • On the east side of the shattered shore is a rugged and long coastline, that defines the northernish shore of a long bay that extends in sort of west to eastish (left to right).
    • The southern part of this bay is a land mass that comes out and curves at the mouth of the bay southwards making the western shore of the Solani wastes, which dominates the southeastern (mid to lower right) corner of this quadrant.
    • Below the wastes is another almost peninsula that is Kandar, it is almost at the bottom of the right side of this quadrant.

I await with baited breath and hopes held high

I should also mention it would be best not to look at the original map... in fact clear your minds... woosa... woosa

To be honest, i don't think you will have a problem with the GW. First of all, I do not think you can copyright continent forms and second of all, GW stole it already from our own world, which is clearly reflected in the WH World.

As a side note, i also play WH Fantasy and i did not think "oh, a redesign of WH". It was rather like "oh, this resembles our world with tweaks, nice!".
    What i want to say is: It has clearly it's own style and shape, no one with a sane mind can accuse you of copying the WH map. And "seeing a resemblance" is a very subjective thing.

Just my two cents though.

Cheers
    E.
    Last edited by Eilathen; 08-12-2009 at 06:37 AM.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Now that was a fun exercise. Sketching from your text instructions and then comparing it to the map. Apparently I got some of your instructions completely wrong.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Well, let's see it!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	experiment.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	15810  

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    To be honest, i don't think you will have a problem with the GW. <<snip for length>> And "seeing a resemblance" is a very subjective thing.

Just my two cents though.
    Hey E. I see your points, but I also know what sue happy lawyers are like. The idea isn't if they could or could not win, it is whether or not they think they can intimidate me to step away. That would be the problem. They are GW, they can fight lengthy legal things.

Also since the people I would hope to be purchasing this product are gamers, who are notoriously bitter and mean sometimes, it wouldn't help having someone review it or start criticizing it on public forums as having "ripped off the Warhammer map".

Always better to be safe than sorry on such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tear View Post
    Now that was a fun exercise. Sketching from your text instructions and then comparing it to the map. Apparently I got some of your instructions completely wrong.
    First off there is no wrong Tear, this is your mind's eye

I am surprised at how awesome yours looks based on following my instructions! That's super cool man

It's a bit more spikey than I would like, but I can always fix that. Thanks for posting (and being the brave first! )

Good entry, let's see what others come up with too

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC View Post
    It's a bit more spikey than I would like...
    I know, it turned out a bit rough, even for a first sketch. The spikiness was my way of compensating instructions like "go from east to west", I guess.

If you want me to give it another shot or anything else, drop me a line. In any case, it was fun.
    Last edited by Tear; 08-12-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typos haunt me

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Apparently my post didn't save.. I'd actually commented on it last night saying it looked very nice

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast