Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dawn of the West: Redesign Part 2

Just a suggestion, but you might want to consider redoing the southwestern coastline. It's kind of too straight and rectangularish.

That one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dotw_suggestion.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	15963  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

That is actually based on something found on a real map, but I am too tired to think of where on Earth it is right now.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

And while we continue to move ahead on the two artistic style maps, here is a new unlabeled hex map to whet your appetites

Name:	new_map.gif 
Views:	272 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	15964  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wip

Ok, birds eye view looks complete, pending labels!

I redid the textures completely for this one, spent a full day setting them up.

I think the result is a lot more crisp and effective than the last one, I just looked at it again and the original now looks blurry and blah to me

Here she goes..

Name:	new_map_3 copy.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	15989  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 08-18-2009 at 03:16 AM. Reason: correct pic uploaded this time, oops

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks great, especially the "Crater Bay".

The only thing that looked off to me was that some of the smaller islands in the south seem to 'float' a bit (though that might just be me).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Whoa, nice work, you two can be really proud of this.

I hate being the one to point out something but i do agree with Steel General in that some of the islands do seem to float a bit in the south.

But other than that nice work. That whirlpool ( I think its a whirlpool) in the straights near the south looks good, how'd you do it, i've been thinking of adding a whirlpool to one of my maps.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I've been working on this so much, I knew I was missing something, thats why I posted an update here instead of moving it to finished Thanks for pointing that out both of you. I think it's because the forests on those islands have a bit of dropshadow to make them pop out a bit, but in this case that's working against the effect.

And yes, i'm proud of the crater

The whirlpool (yes, you got that right) is.. let me find the original post where I talked about it..

"The whirlpool is from a japanese ukiyo-e (sp?) painting of an area of rough sea (found it on google, after slogging through about 40 pages of whirlpool brand dishwasher picutres, heh)"

I don't think i kept the original pic though.. and I'm not about to go looking for it again - i want that half hour of my life back!! But once i had the pic, i lassoed the whirlpool portion with a 10 or 20 px feather, and cleaned up the result with an eraser around the edges, then set it to multiply, and adjusted the transparency a bit.

Not hard really, except for the searching

Ok, off to adjust islands...

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Wip

Ok, adjustments made! Dropshadow was indeed th culprit. Looks ok on the main continent still, but I set the island to 0 distance, and smacked it down.

I also played a bit with the ocean layers, i think this is a bit more evocative.

Unless there are any other obvious errors, I'm about ready to call it.

Name:	new_map_2 copy.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	16004  

My finished maps

This map is just amazing. I'm so glad you two decided to go apesh*t with it

My thoughts on the coastline: in reality, god and nature are far less standardized about coasts than we are here. There are a lot of large sections of earth coastlines that are completely flat with no appreciable deviations. Look at large sandy areas in north africa and the saudia arabian peninsula for examples. You can make a case that we make maps here that are prettier than the ones nature made, but for the most part I think if it looks good its fine. And I personally think the coasts here look fine.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

There's something that's bugging me a bit about the coastal transition. Right now it's such a hard transition... doesn't look quite right, to me. Maybe, I'm thinking, a very thin, slightly blurred sandy-beach-colored stroke would soften it just the right way?

Otherwise, this is looking great!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast