Thread: Othman - WIP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I reworked Seria and Termya- I like these shapes a lot better. Termya may be a little bigger than I'd like it to be, but I can alter that later.

I've been focused on Termya because I have a clearer mental image of it that I do the other islands. Here's a more indepth description of Termya:

"The northern end of Termya is a low, beachy grassland with occasional short rocky escarpments jutting out of the meadows. There are a handful of wildflowers that grow here, sometimes in large swaths, adding white and purple to the redundant gold-green landscape. The bedrock of Termya is a mottled gray and white granite and dark brown sandstone mixture, which provides for the occasional crack in the meadow floor, where water flows down dramatic waterfalls to the ocean. Further south, the island rises up, and the soil thins out, reducing the wide plains to low mossy groundcover until ending sharply at the long cliff face of the southern edge of the island. Here, moss and lichen cling to the granite wall and provide a home for small nesting birds. Below, the waves of the ocean crash against the cliff, creating false thunder that ripples back across the plateau.

A short distance inland from the northwestern coast is a steep-edged lake, filled with runoff from the plains above. It is fed by several tiny streams, but empties at in the west end to a narrow river that flows back to the sea. This area is Reshtiga, the largest village in Othman, where low and mossy stone huts with sod-covered roofs clump together at the water’s edge. Other settlements dot the landscape of Termya; small clusters of stone and thatch cottages strung together with time-worn foot paths.

Sheep and deer graze on the bitter vegetation of Termya, and are the island’s most numerous inhabitants. There are no trees on the island, and only occasional groups of squat bristly bushes, so herds are easy to keep track of and maintain, so there is little need for fences. Water is plentiful, however, even on the southern plateau, where small, shallow puddles have been worn into the rock over the years."

I raided http://www.cgtextures.com/ for the textures, but I still have more to add, namely the purple and white wildflowers. The texture in the meadow areas is a little flat and too green I think. I also think I need to smooth out the color on the southern end of the island. It's a flat plateau, but it looks like it's brush-covered. I plan to add the villages and footpaths described above at the end. Maybe even a herd of sheep or two....

I've also shifted the climate to more along the Acadia National Park (in Maine) line. I also zoomed in a bit more, but I'm still working on exactly how much. There is a small boat dock in the lake at Reshtiga that I think will end up being visible and clear (it's not there yet), so I think I'm looking at 150px = 1 mile.

I believe I've got all the streams in that need to be. I ended up with a few more waterfalls than I intended, but I like them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways I can improve the textures the way I'd like?

Janis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OthmanWIP2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	15847