Thread: Word document map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tutorial

Now that I've imported my map I can add labels. By clicking on the Edit tab and then edit picture from the drop down menu, you can now edit your map and add labels. You can also resize your map here if it doesn't line up perfectly with the edges.

One way I label my map is using Text box from the Insert menu. The box is very rigid so I use it for labelling things that allow a stright label underneath or overtop of it. For an example, I will label the 'blockish' looking temple in the middle of the vast jungle on the left side of the map.

By clicking Insert and then text box and then clicking on the map, a square, bordered text box appears. I chose my font and size from the Format menu (I use size 8 and Papyrus font) and then begin to manipulate the text box. (Important footnote here! I'm a patient man so everytime I add a label I have to reformat my text box. I'm sure there must be a way to format certain things in advance so that you don't have to manipulate the box but I don't really mind so I just go ahead and reformat it every time.)

By right clicking on the edge of the text box it brings up a new menu. Click on, Format Text box. Under the Colors and Lines tab I adjust the transparency depending on what's behind the label. If there's something there that you want to see that doesn't interfere with the legebility of the text move the transparency to 1000%. If the back ground interferes too much with what's in your text box you can slide the transparecy down to 0% which will put a white (or whatever backgoound you chose) background behind your text.

Next I chose from the Color window, No Line (it's above all the colors). This removes the border from around the text.

Next I click on the Text box tab. I reduce the Internal margins to 0's all the way around, Left, right, top and bottom. This allows me to bring the edges of the border snug up against the text and reduce the amount of background map that is covered by my text box.

Having formatted my text, I now drag the corners of the text box so that it is right up against the text. I then drag my text box to where I want it. In this case under the blockish looking temple in the middle of the jungle on the left side of the map. See attached.

Repeat this everywhere you want a straight horizontal label on your map.

Before I go on to the next portion of mapping using Word art, I'll stop so that if anyone has any questions, they can post them!

Hope this is useful!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by wildoxmoan; 08-12-2009 at 03:24 PM.