Thread: Port City of Jartor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I like Papyrus too - we used it on our wedding invitations. It's great for maps because it's so light and has a bit of handdrawn character. You should go to the 'Typrographist' site. I went there for a bit, so many of them are so up themselves they are almost detached from reality. It's almost as if they think the world should revolve around what designers want rather than designers performing a service for a market (like the rest of us do with our jobs). I recall one post where a guy said he quit his job because his boss insisted on using three full stops instead of the ellipsis symbol. I'm sure there must have been more to it than that, but still. In spite of all the posturing, there are some very interesting reads there and the eye for detail that those people have is staggering.

The one post I made there, asking for help about creating a font set was never answered, so I abandoned the place.

@Ghostman - thanks. I'm afraid I borrowed the idea fom one of the cartographer's choice maps, but I didn't pull it off anywhere near as well. The trouble with using vector is you don't get blends for layers so I couldn't get the effect I really wanted (the sea being unpainted parchment), with the parchment grunge and fold marks showing through in the land areas. Thinking about it now, I prefer the blue, it makes the green of the land 'pop' more.