Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cruzamento De Rio 50 years later (WIP)

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Pretty much everything is texturework.
    The river foam is a lot of handwork plust filtered and brushed all to heck. The roads, walls, and fences are brushed, as are the forests. And everything has texture and/or colour overlays and other layer effects.

If there was a way to avoid the gatehouses having the mickymouse effect I'd do it, but sadly, it's historically accurate

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Progress! I just need to add the military buildings to the west side and that's done, then it's off to the east.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city250yrsBuildings copy.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	15934  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Nice! Would have liked to have seen a couple of more stone buildings though. And I could imagine the town attracted more people, with the stone city walls and all that, meaning houses would get a bit more cramped and share some walls.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I was thinking that myself Space is starting to get to a premium, I was trying to figure out how to represent buildings with multiple floors, but maybe if i do another one

I might add more stone buildings.. it's possible the sausage factory is prosperous enough to demand one

My finished maps

You do realise that everytime you post your latest work my desire to finish mine goes away? :p

Loving it so far but I think Gandwarf's point of it not being quite cramped enough is my only tick on teh bad list so far. I love the farms though.

I don't think I can get it much more cramped without kicking out the rich folk, who have already kicked out a few blocks worth of peasants.. and they started building outside the walls

Name:	city250yrs copy.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	16005  

My finished maps

Looking good! It is looking much more cramped inside the walls.
    As the ruler of the city I would burn down the peasant hovels outside the southern walls though. I think those hovels would normally appear on the other side of the road. So not against the walls.

(Buildings were built against city walls on the inside, but rarely against the walls on the outside, as that would give cover to attackers or even a nice platform to set their ladders on - they could also be set on fire and weaken the stone).
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Yeah, good point there. I think I was going along the lines that they would make a good barrier to slow down invaders, but you are right - push them back to max longbow range and set them on fire.. that way they can't use the smoke for cover close up, and as they come out of the cover they get picked off

Only prob with that is that bow range puts them off the edge of the map. Blah!

I'll see what can be done.. Maybe encampments further out, instead of lining. The beginnings of a new village perhaps.

My finished maps

Wip

Ok.. i added things like rocks at the base of the river towers. moved the huts away from the outerwalls, foam on the water, better tower shadows.. updated the docks and added storage buildings along the wharves. I redid the docks since they're wood - in 50 years I imagine there's been need to repair and replace planking

I did leave a few hovels near UpperCowgate that the Lord hasn't been notified of yet.. I expect they'll be evicted shortly

Name:	city250yrs copy.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	16108  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 08-21-2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: upload!!

My finished maps

Some nice touches Coyotemax. Like the rocks near the towers. It has turned into a beautiful map.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast