Thread: Creating a roll of parchment in GIMP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

STEP 7: What about the parchment?

The final step in the process is to texture and highlight the parchment using the same techniques as we did with the wooden discs. Create a Rolls highlight layer and apply gradient to the upper and lower rolls, one at a time. Set the blend mode to Overlay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parchment_roll_tutorial_19.png 
Views:	245 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	15906Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parchment_roll_tutorial_20.png 
Views:	715 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	15907

Create a new layer called Paper and make sure it's below the Rolls highlight layer. Add a black mask to this layer, select both the rolls and the connecting parchment shapes, feather the selection and white-fill the mask with it. Then fill the layer itself with a paper or parchment texture.

Name:	parchment_roll_tutorial_21.png 
Views:	571 
Size:	218.2 KB 
ID:	15908

Hiding all the unneeded layers and displaying only the highlights and textured layers should result in a complete scroll. For final tweaks, you can make copies of the highlight layers and modify their blend modes and opacities. You can also experiment with filters and scripts. I used the Clothify effect on the parchment texture.

Name:	parchment_roll_tutorial_22.png 
Views:	383 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	15909

Advanced users can undoubtedly think of many ways to do things more efficiently and add more bells and whistles. This tutorial ends here though, as it is meant as a simple guide for those who know the basics of GIMP or some other image editing software. I hope it has been useful to fellow forumers here.

Feel free to point out typos and grammatical errors and the like.

I fancy this tutorial! Best for beginners in computer graphics. I'm using Paint.NET and effects are the same and even better! Either very useful!