Thread: Hello and some questions

Guild Novice

Post Hello and some questions

Hello to all on this forum. My name is Highlieche. I am a wanna-be Alt History buff. As such whenever i either post in TLs or read them, maps are generally a requirement. As such i have found my way here, in order to learn how to make maps that dont suck. For a while now i have been using programs such as Paint.Net to make my maps. However five minutes on this site has shown me that at LEAST Gimp is required to make such non-suckage maps. Therefore can anyone point me in the direction of some simple Gimp mapping tutorials plz?
    Last edited by Highlieche; 08-14-2009 at 05:41 AM.

hello and welcome!

check the tutorials section for some cool GIMP tuts
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Welcome Highlieche! And thanks for the comment on my Postapocalyptic North America!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

As NeonKnight pointed out check the tutorials forum - RobA's Regional Map with GIMP is a great place to start, then you can expand out from there.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Firstly, Welcome to the Guild

Secondly, Paint.Net (or as some call it PdN) can make some nice maps too. It is all about finding the fuctionality that you aree looking for with your prog of choice. We do have some users of PdN here (PeaceHeather for one, and there are others) who have had good results. While most of our tutorials fall under either the GimP or Photoshop umbrella, you can still use the tutorials with PdN, but you will need to do some "translating" to find what commands to use to simulate the results of the tut. Some ppl don't bother, but I find that suprising results can develope out of trying to do the translation. If you prefer, you could also check the PdN sites for tuts to see what it can do and how, and then translate the Gimp or PS tuts using that knowledge. Either way, the best way to learn mapping, regardless of prog, is to post your progress from the begining in a WIP thread and try out the suggestions that will come your way.

Long winded I know, but it really doesn't matter which prog you use 'cause you still need to learn it. Once you have the technique, the rest is easy. True, some progs are easier to use than others, but that is an individual sort of thing. Don't sell PdN short. If you do continue to use PdN, we would really like to see the results and post some tuts on how you did what you did too.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Korash is totally correct.

Don't let your choice of software keep you from posting your work.

heck, we have someone doing a map in Word format, of all things. It's not the tool, it's the creativity you put in to whatever you're doing that matters most.

The worst that will happen is that you get "what if" suggestions for elements, and information or directions to information that will be helpful

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Yeah, I have seen people post: CC3 sucks cause you are soooooooo limited, but I have found that I can often do things in CC3 that people think you cannot, simply because I find 'work-arounds'.

Now, this is not to say don;t try GIMP, but it IS to say, don't sell short any graphics program.

We have actually had people on here do beautiful maps in MICROSOFT WORD, and MS Paint of things.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave