Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meyhovic House - Because Everyone Needs a Haunted House Now or Then

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Stunning!

I dub thee newly 'repped' *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Amazing work. I especially like the lighting of the various rooms.

I'm curious to how all those people died and what exactly happened at Meyhovic House.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I'm curious to how all those people died and what exactly happened at Meyhovic House.
    I'd love to tell you! It's so cool!

But I'm new here. I don't know the rules.

I belong to an RPG writers' guild, the WereCabbages, in which we have strict rules on idea sharing and usage. We don't make personal use of, or share beyond the membership, any other member's ideas that could lead to publication. If someone shares or seeks advice on a idea, no one else can run with that idea. Ever. No piracy. Period. Violation of this mandate get's you expelled from the guild. Obviously, a writers' guild cannot survive without such a restriction. Without such a security measure, guild member writers wouldn't share their ideas, and, without sharing, wouldn't benefit from the collective insights and wisdom of the writers' guild through comments on those ideas.

It strikes me, however, that a cartographer's guild is somewhat different. A cartographer's work product is, by its nature, stylistically unique. The focus is also graphic imagery, not the protection of narrative ideas underlying the imagery. Carefully thought out limitations on narrative idea dissemination seem less necessary in a map-maker's forum.

Does the Cartographer's Guild employ a confidentiality mandate of this nature? I'd love to tell you what this haunted house is all about. But I haven't hooked a publisher yet. So I have to be somewhat cautious.
    Last edited by Ashenvale; 08-16-2009 at 09:58 PM.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't think confidentiality would even be possible for us with 12,000 members...88% of which are lurkers. Lots of people put our maps in their own Flikr accounts and whatnot...thus the CC licensing things all over, but that doesn't really stop anyone. Guess we'll have to wait
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

And even unregistered guests can read all the text on our forum Try Googling some of the text you posted on this forum.
    So don't share if you don't want the stories to be read by the masses.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Gotcha!

Thanks for the head's up, Gandwarf & Ascension!

Forgive my babe-in-the-woods naiveté. I'm accustomed to posting on a closed set of boards for 41 writers. 12,000 members! That's mind-boggling! The potential for objective feedback in a group this size surpasses my wildest dreams. But, like a squirrel that suddenly realizes it's wandered too far from any friendly trees, I feel strangely exposed as well.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Post Any Interest in How I Created this Map?

I'm only a day old here, honored to be welcomed into this great forum, and afraid of making a social gaff. Please give me some guidance.

I see many threads in which cartographers share their work as it develops, soliciting and receiving meaningful feedback along the way. In these threads, we all benefit from the chance to watch the creative process in action.

Would folks be interested in an after-the-fact version of this evolution? I could post images of the stages through which I developed the Mehovic House map. I saved dozens of these stages, from initial drawings to final polish. I think I can present a clear sequence revealing my objectives, successes, and failures at each stage, if such a presentation seems desirable. It would, however, lack the real-time feel that makes the other threads I'm reviewing so exciting.

What do you think?
    -George Bernard Shaw

Definately! Always worth a poke through someone's mind. Especially with a nice map such as this.

Thanks for the offer!

WIP's (work in progress) are always nice as they give insight in the mapmaking process.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The creative process involves a lot of thinking and a lot of labor. It's always nice to see, or in this case read as well, the evolution and the process and the thinking behind the work as it develops and changes.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast