Thread: Fishtank Room Battlemap, Hand Inked

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Greengoat View Post
    Thanks folks, making me bush
    Just make sure to leaf the windows open.

**hides**

Anyhow, this is some darn fine work, I love seeing hand done pieces. And thank you for giving a look at the creative process, it's actually pretty helpful. I was wondering how you did the grid at first glance, while you say the mylar is a bit of a hassle, I absolutely love the effect it gives.

I've started my own ink brushed piece, though it's 100% photoshop work - but now I'm going to keep yours around as reference so I can get it looking more realistic

you win!!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Novice

Realistic = warped paper with too much water applied.

To clarify the process:
    To get the grid inked on I took a piece of mylar which is polyester film (plastic sheet that architects used to draw on) and punched holes in it with this little spur-ike pounce wheel and tried to keep the wheel steady with a big ruler.

This left a grid of punched holes in the mylar. I taped this plastic sheet over the blank paper and sponged ink through the holes onto the paper. It is essentially like a really primitive silkscreen or an advanced stencil. That way I could make a bunch of gridded sheets.