Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
This gave me an idea for using constellations to flatten a star map.

Combine the constellations into larger groups (Preferably Contiguous). I think one for each constellation of the zodiac would be good.

Now, divide up your map into sectors (In the geometric sense rather than scifi map sense) radiating from Sol, one for each group.

So Sirius, Castor, and Pollux would all be in the Gemini Sector at 8.5, 50, and 35 ly respectively.
This is interesting thinking, but I might not be understanding you. As the above poster notes, and as in bartmoss' thread, when the game takes place somewhere other than earth, you will have a tough time calculating distances, won't you?

My idea is not unlike yours- instead of the Traveller-type largescale universe map that shows all the sectors' locations, I'd like to have a flattened constellation map as the galaxy map available to players, with a scale bar so they can estimate (roughly) distances between systems.

I'm not having much luck finding a flattened constellation map. I've seen a couple rectangle-with-two circles above type (sorry I don't know the correct name for that projection) which might be ok to use as a template in CC3.