14 25.45%
  • Oten-jo (SG style) - Steel General

1 1.82%
  • Oten-job Ascension - Ascension

7 12.73%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** August 2009 Challenge Voting - Create a city map for Kaidan ***

Quote Originally Posted by MysticMagellan View Post
    To Armoredgear7 - you said I set the bar, but I think I was only trying to stay ahead of you after seeing our similar styles near the beginning, and I think I've learned the most from watching our two maps evolve.
    I have learned a lot from this competition. Illustrating a city is really hard work when you choose to go with the scale you & I did. It was more work than I was expecting to need to put into a city map, especially since this is my first.

I also think that Jykke is spot-on with his assessment of our maps. I really loved your colour scheme from the beginning and tried to make something different. I also felt that your map didn't represent the mountain well enough, which is understandable based on the layout & orientation you chose; that became another point of differentiation for me. Finally, the small details like the stone paths and rock gardens really help the scale and add lots of relevant stuff for roleplaying. It's one of those things I didn't really get to.

In all honesty, I feel like the ideal Oten-Jo map is a combination of the things that you and I have done. It's been a great learning experience.
    Last edited by armoredgear7; 08-29-2009 at 09:00 PM.
    Unless otherwise noted, all of my posted work is free for use and redistribution under
    the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Successful challenge then We try to use them as learning tools and for those who know a lot they can use them as experimental exercises. Now we need to get some dungeon challenges so that I can learn those too
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Too bad you can't participate in the Lite challenge Ascension. You could do a dungeon then
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Definitely a succesful challenge in that regard. I've learned quite a bit off the other maps that will be taken into account on my next city.

And as a personal challenge to myself to offer something completely different in a style I've never considered using before? 100% success, so as far as i'm concerned, I've already won what I wanted to win

I highly recommend pushing your limits and boundaries to places you never would have previously considered

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

You can participate in the Lite challenge though, Coyotemax...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Yes, I suppose I could.

"And now for something else completely different..." heh

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by armoredgear7 View Post
    I also think that Jykke is spot-on with his assessment of our maps. I really loved your colour scheme from the beginning and tried to make something different. I also felt that your map didn't represent the mountain well enough, which is understandable based on the layout & orientation you chos; that became another point of differentiation for me. Finally, the small details like the stone paths and rock gardens really help the scale and add lots of relevant stuff for roleplaying. It's one of those things I didn't really get to.
    It's really funny thing, because if you hadn't differentiated your map from MysticMagellan's one, there would probably be two almost identical maps

Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    It's really funny thing, because if you hadn't differentiated your map from MysticMagellan's one, there would probably be two almost identical maps
    Absolutely, I think they would have been nearly identical. I'm almost wondering if we would have had three identical maps if DevinNight had finished his too; his buildings & colour palette are also similar to MM's & mine.
    Unless otherwise noted, all of my posted work is free for use and redistribution under
    the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence.

It's turning into a neck-and-neck race

Holy cow.
    I did not think that there would be so many great maps.
    Boy am I an idiot.
    The maps look great, not just 1 or 2 of them but the 6-7 finished ones all are contenders.

I finally had to cast my vote for Mystic, I love the how clean it is, but with all the subtle textures and colors.

I wish I would have had the time to keep working on mine, but I am sure that it would have paled next to the entries I just looked at.

Great job to everyone.. I'm so impressed.

-D

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast