Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sea Dragon Palace, Kaidan

Post regarding feedback

@ Jykke - yeah, some of the objects were created in 3D and I didn't have a consistent angle on all the 3D objects, I tried to get them the same, but there are slight differences. Whereas all the other objects have hand-pulled drop shadows instead, so I didn't quite match all the shadow angles. I might fix that.

@ Coyotemax - don't leave me in suspense, if you have a critique, please tell, unlike popular belief, I am not "all knowing!"

@ MSA - I am to please!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ok, fair!

Looking at the areas that are poking out of the water, i think they
    would look really nice with waves lapping up against the shore.

That's all

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Post The thought occurred to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Ok, fair!

Looking at the areas that are poking out of the water, i think they
    would look really nice with waves lapping up against the shore.

That's all
    Yeah, the thought occurred to me too. I was thinking of creating a 3D fringe of surf, maybe use the turbulent sea foam image I have as a texture, then make it transparent at the center and invisible at the edges. Doing it so the coral near the surface isn't covered up is my primary issue in doing that, but I may just do something like that. Good suggestion!

GP

PS: I already adjusted the transparent "layers to blue up" the canyon layer and lighten up the one beneath that. I'll post an update this evening.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Four Fifths done...

OK, moving right along, I'd say, I'm about four fifths done with this map. I need to fill in the bottom center area on the main city level, also want to create some large structures going from the bottom cliff shelf up to main city level, and fill in the rest of the bottom level.

Pretty much all the buildings were done in 3D as well, for one I wanted varying shadows and tall/long shadows on that spiral set of buildings. Thought using a spiral seemed rather "undersea" in thinking.

For Coyotemax, I placed some ripple waves on the part sticking above the water in top left corner, for scale, I even placed a large sailing ship (though perhaps its too close to the shore.) also notice its drop shadow on the coral far beneath the ship (40' down?)

Almost done, I'm very happy with the way its turning out. Oh and lightening the transparent layers really helped it visually.

GP

PS: now that I look at it, the rock formation on the bottom right of the map looks like a Grouper's (ocean fish) head with the crevasse being its mouth and the large stone structure with the blue light looks like its eye. Though that wasn't intentional it seems appropriate as well, so I'm not changing that!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ryukyu.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	16556  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-05-2009 at 02:32 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

The ship's too much I think. Or it's too close to shore, like you already said. Otherwise, very nice.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

wow, that just keeps looking better and better!

You're right about the grouper shaped layout, I had thought that to be intentional
    Maybe it was just a subconscious thing while you were creating?

the ship is a neat addition, right now it does look like it's overlapping the shore - but that's ok, maybe it's grounded It actually does help in that it gives a good reference point for scale. That having been said, the urns underwater seem rather gargantuan, or are those some odd shaped coral formations?

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Wip Not urns...

There supposed to be a crinoid shell for some kind of sea worm race - yeah, I know they look like urns or bottles or something.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Done!

Finally finished this map!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ryukyo.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	996.1 KB 
ID:	16612  
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice GP! I especially like the gateway/tunnel thingie.

One little thing that seemed 'off', near the ship there is a vertical line (I'm assuming it's some kind of depth change indicator), it just looks weird because it is so strait. Not a big deal really, just thought I'd point it out.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

looks awesome.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast