Thread: Haunted Mansion: An After-the-Fact WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Creating Courtyards and Grass

Here's where the color fun began.

I use a combination of the Polygon Lasso Tool and the Eliptical Marquee Tool to create selections for cobble stone areas and grassy areas on the "tiles" grid layer. I saved each selection using the Select/Save As function, so I could alter the colors, contrast, dimensions, or any other aspect of these seleactions later on.

(Advice: When you save a selection, immediately save the document. I usually save the document as a new name -- i.e., Mansion 09 becomes Mansion 10. Why? Because if you don't save it, you may scroll back up the History bar to a point before you save the selection without realizing it. Doing so eliminates the selection you made with such care. This sucks. Trust me on this one!)

I then tweaked the color of each outdoor selection using Image/Adjust/Hue Saturation and Image/Adjust/Color Balance to begin creating the sense of pavement and grass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05 Grass & Courtyard.jpg 
Views:	1528 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	16399  
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Actually I was just reviewing your house again, and I noticed something I hadn't caught before (now that I was specicially looking at lighting techniques).

The statue of the tiger is not casting a shadow from the light coming in through the window next to it. Of course, this could be intentional, and add to the "ok what's wrong in this room" factor when presenting it to a party.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."