Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hexingtide [WIP]

Default Months later...

Took a chunk of the weekend to do some map work after not touching the thing for months (instead handling more of the crunchy worldbuilding stuff).

Most of the work, as you can see, if the updated border. Finally liking it, but am not satisfied with the coloring and grunge efects. Still a ways to go there...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapWip-2010-11Nov-06.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	30774
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's a little dark for my tastes, but well done nonetheless!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like the map a lot. I particularly care for the colors and how you have approached the terrain. The labels all blend together with the map as well. My only issue is with the folds/creases as they seem to be a little abrupt. Maybe you could try smoothing them out as you would expect of a map with some age?

I also just noticed how much I love the colors and the brushwork on the oceans.

+ REP

I am really impressed with this map. The folds don't add anything in my opinion. Love the rest though.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

Blog Entries

I'm not a big fan of the airbrushed/satellite look for fantasy maps, but it's very impressive. It's interesting to see an equidistant conic projection being used (It was actually used in ancient Greece) The labels for the graticule down at the bottom don't really line up though. There seem to be two overlapping bits of text on the legend.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

After a second look (on a different PC), I hereby retract my previous comment about it being to dark for my tastes (damn crappy laptop!)
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Good composition of texture and colours.

Hey guys, thanks for the compliments.

@ Hai-Etlik - Yeah, need to line up the graticule better. I originally had them lined up much closer to the original border, but with the redesign, I needed to push them out. Only now it runs into the map legend (which is a whole 'nuther issue in and of itself). Glad you like the projection - I wanted to try something different, and think it's worked out pretty well.

@ Aval and ExMachina - For what it's worth, I really like the folds, so they are just gonna stay. My goal is to print this thing out (30" x 40"), get it framed nicely, and place it on the wall. I think the folds help with the aged/antique wualities of the map (which are certainly offset by the typography choices and the coloring//style of the continent itself, but I'm happy).
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by PokealypseNow View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the compliments.

@ Aval and ExMachina - For what it's worth, I really like the folds, so they are just gonna stay. My goal is to print this thing out (30" x 40"), get it framed nicely, and place it on the wall. I think the folds help with the aged/antique wualities of the map (which are certainly offset by the typography choices and the coloring//style of the continent itself, but I'm happy).
    Well I wasn't implying that they should be removed, I'm just suggesting that it may be worth trying to smooth them out a bit. As they are now they kind of divide the terrain up into boxes with the sudden shift from light to dark being a little abrupt.

I would certainly like to see what it looks like hanging on the wall!

This may sound a bit stupid but if you are going to print it, why don't you just fold the printout to get folds? They won't come more realistic than that.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast