Thread: Building a Fantasy City with City Works

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fascinating. This CityWorks sounds good. However, my main interest is modern/futuristic cities - I wonder if the same rules apply to modern city creation? If so, it might be worth an investment, OTOH it may need too much house-ruling.
    I suspect that walls will be less important and roads more frequent. What other changes might there be? Will ground area per head of population differ with use of high-rise buildings, will 'docks' include rail, air and space ports, etc?
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Fascinating! I think this is a great approach to city mapping. It's almost like rolling up a character and allocating points to various attribItutes.
    Thanks. I like it a lot and have used it in the past to build cities for D&D games. Figured it would be worth actually posting the full process to show off Mike Mearls' great work.

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    Fascinating. This CityWorks sounds good. However, my main interest is modern/futuristic cities - I wonder if the same rules apply to modern city creation?
    I don't think it would work all that well. While the number of roads would still be pretty accurate for most cities as long as you remember that a "road" in this mapping system is a major interstate type road, and not a typical road... but the reality is that a lot of modern cities have been through much stronger urban planning or are so old that they have been "revised" multiple times. The system in this book is VERY D&D-centric.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced