Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Regional Map

Latest WIP. The best part for me is two of my kids (5 & 8 ) have started doodling maps. I may have to scan my five-year old's in and post it if I can. Also, I figured out that I'm going to use this map as part of some D&D I started with them. A few weeks ago we played (mostly as an excuse for them to roll dice and move miniatures on a map): They had to venture into a cave and recover a key from around the neck of a kobold wizard. They brought the key back to the town's mayor who opened an ancient box. And in the box was... up until now nothing, but now I think there will be a map!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continent-3.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	16697

Added:
    • Swampland and mountains. I originally made my own "cattail" brush for the swamp, but found another that looked good while googling for a mountain brush. I have Wag's brush set (available here at CG), but I couldn't thin them out enough to feel right.

To fix:
    • SE-most city is not connected the surrounding alliance of city-states.
    • The outer border needs to be eliminated. The map will just fade near the edge of the parchment page.
    • Perhaps some sort of solid background to the cites and fortresses, so they stand out a little. The roads travel through them at the moment, and I think they are a little too obscured.

To-do:
    • Place names & Explorer's notes - This means I have to settle on a homeland for the map's author.

Story Questions:
    • Who is the explorer who made the map, and is he or she of the same homeland as the adventurers who will find the map?
    • There seem to be four factions in the region: the NW mountains, the NE traders, the SE traders, and the western cities. What kind of states are these and what are their inter-relations?
    • What are the two legendary sites, and what adventures might they hold?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great that your kids are getting into maps (even if its just doodling), maybe you should try and do a map with them - let them decide what goes where, etc.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Do the river police offer leniency to minors?
    Geography is only physics slowed down, with a few trees stuck on it... ~Terry Pratchett

Maybe...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I offer lots of leniency. My youngest niece draws morbid stuff like flaming feet falling from the sky and bonking people on the head while the other draws princesses and puppies. I just encourage them to draw whatever they think might be fun
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Sounds like the one has been watching to much Monty Python or something

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Sounds like the one has been watching to much Monty Python or something
    No such thing!
    Geography is only physics slowed down, with a few trees stuck on it... ~Terry Pratchett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12