@Jykke - When I was laying in the initial colors, I must have reversed my land and water. I see what you're referring to about the water "popping up." I'll think on that.

@Diamond - Thanks. I'm going for that "well-travelled, well-worn" look.

@Alfar - Good idea about the nautical map. I decided to start the map as a world/campaign building exercise, and the map features are starting to fill in some details on their own. Something - legend, compass rose, warning about dragons - will definitely fill the watery expanse.

@Pank.HQ - Hadn't given any thought to the actual size of the map in pixels, though I did notice that when I layered the map onto the parchment, I lost some of the map. (The two images must have had different dimensions?

I have been picturing the area as largely unexplored and thus lacking many labels, just a few coastal cities and the best known inland fortresses. On the other hand, the idea of an explorer's map lends itself to hand-written notes... which will need even more space. I'll have to see what I can do to make it bigger. If all else fails, I may start over; it's just more practice.

Thanks to all for the feedback.