Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Aronbor... or Perdon

When does the awesomeness stop?
    It's such a living, breathing map... the notes, the stains...

My only regret is that I can't read all the notes, but that's also a bit of the charm of the map.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Thank you Gandwarf. When I post in the finished map section I'll do a short write up of the state of Aronbor which should make most of the notes superfluous anyway.

CM: I think I'll leave the label as is for now. If public opinion demands that it needs changing then I will probably go for your third option and just leave "the" off as I really don't want to move it if possible. I don't even know what each layer does anymore but I have about 20 of them making up that label and red stain. I don't cherish the thought of redoing it. Hehe.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

lol

I know how you feel, usually i get very detail oriented in naming my layers and describing what they're doing, but sometimes i get impatient or caught up in what i'm doing and forget

My own opinion is to trust whatever you come up with, I know it'll look fine, I was simply presenting possible options

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Yeah, I'd go with leaving "The" off as well.

And I think it works with the rest of the labels going over the border.

Regardless, though, this is a superb map of the highest calibre. A real work of art.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Blog Entries

Ok, just a quick post to get some opinion on that damn Grey Sea label.

I've removed the half word "the" off and although it looks ok like that I thought I'd have one more try at fitting it in so I've relocated it to above the rest of the label. (By the way, I know that part of the border is still missing where I removed the word - I need to go into a differnt PSD file to remove that part of the mask from the border).

So... does "the" look ok where it is now? I personally think it looks pretty good but others may feel it goes against the look of the other labels. If people think it is ok then I will go ahead with grunging up the part of the label that goes across the stain.

Other changes to this image include: added a hint of agricultural land around some towns and cities (of which I'd be interested to get some feedback); added a new town; finally added an icon for the keeps, although I'm still not sure about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aronbor15e.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	17930
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Okay Ramah... been with you all the way but I have to comment on the fields.
    Got plenty of relatives in agriculture (sheep and wheat mostly) and plowed fields will be "of a certain size" and a nice shape unless there is a darned good reason for them to be all over the place.

Your field texture is awesome and shiney, but crazy Citroen Chevrons of field make about as much sense as putting deltas in the Himalayas... Leave those nice "erased roads" but have the fields run along/perpendicular to those roads rather than having 3/4 of a field in one direction then suddenly jagging off at 45 degrees...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I see what is being attempted, the pattern itself would be fine in most circumstances, it's basically squares of lines in alternating vertical and horizontal directions. I used the same thing on my own Trade map, and it looks fine there.

But at this scale, and with the interruptions through them, they do come off a bit messy.

I hate to say it, but there might not be an easy way to make them look good on this map without hand-doing them individually.

(ok, I'm pretty sure that's bad grammar, but I don't feel like correcting it, heh)

[edit]
    Incidentally, the field by Kingsfield looks fine, i would expect to see a field pattern like that in the area. Left of Briary isn't bad, but the other side looks odd. The hardest place to look at is by Greybower and Winton - the pattern doesn't work well with the shapes you appear to be trying to create there.
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 10-21-2009 at 06:44 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Actually, I kind of like the farmland, really! Only near Greybower it looks a bit weird because of a repeating pattern effect.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

What looks incongruous to me is how flat they are. With everything in this map having depth, it seems like they should curve a little, or something. Honestly though, that's just after studying the fields because of the discussion. They never caught my eye as "off."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm fine with the fields as long as they stay understated the way that they are. This isn't meant to be actual satellite realistic but more hand-drawn representational. The only thing "off" to me is that it's darker than the original Vaniya map. The forests are also different. It might be intended but it might not be, shrug. Otherwise it's still wicked cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast