Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Aronbor... or Perdon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    Ramah,
    Yeah I wasn't trying to say "it should look like a real field". Closer to "everyone from a medieval society will know what a field looks like and how farmers set them up, so they wouldn't draw that"... It just really looked to me like "whack down pattern, grab the eraser, solved"

Not trying to sound like a pain in the ass.
    It's fine, you don't sound like a pain in the ass. All CC is greatly appreciated. I don't know if you checked out the last version I posted but I did away with most of the odd shapes you didn't like and instead just drew a large area and filled it, allowing the pattern to give the suggestion of field area on its own.

Tear, yeah your suggestion is a good one. I may go over it and add a few hand-drawn elements as you suggest. Originally, when I thought of adding the agricultural land I was going to hand draw it in some way but after messing around with it I preferred the pattern to just give a hint of what is there as my hand drawn attempts were somewhat lacking. Maybe I'll give it another go.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very pretty indeed. I'm with CM on my comments on this one

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Very pretty indeed. I'm with CM on my comments on this one
    Thank you very kindly.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Blog Entries

Ok, was hoping to have finished this map by now. I'm running out of time if I seriously want to have a crack at NaNoWriMo. :s

Anyhoos, I managed to get a good session on it this evening and I can really see the finish line approaching now. Hopefully the next image I post will be in the finished maps section.

Things done on this update:

Added a whole raft of labels for various things. Added several more forests. Added a new river. Added several cities, towns, ruins and a few new towers. Added a few places of interest. Gave the whole map some more crumples, especially over the large stain which I also used as an opportunity to lighten the map up a little. Added a slight displace to the map to marry it to the crumples somewhat.

Here it is...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aronbor17.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	18112

Things left to do on the map:

More labels. There are quite a few forests and rivers I still want to label although I may skip some.
    Add a few more places of interest such as shrines etc.
    Add a couple more pieces of Marginalia.
    I need to make a few more icons for the map for ruins and for an abbey.
    General touch-ups.

I'm definitely going to be finished by this Saturday no matter what happens.

Beautiful. I want a poster of that for my wall. I really like your place names, the linework is very nice, and the color scheme is very pleasant. AND, I really want to know what's behind that wall. Must be some big, scary squirrels in that wood. Have to go check earlier posts to see if you let on.
    M

BTW, my wife worked (briefly) for HP a while back and they had an employee-use printshop that included everything from the kind of stuff I can do on my color laser all the way up to poster-sized prints on canvas with Impasto-like texturing. I wish she still worked there. I would so have a wall full of maps.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments Mearrin.

Yeah, I too would love a poster for my wall. Having seen the photos of the other maps turned into posters (Westeros and Valcia... and Gandwarf's map I believe?) I admit they made me extremely jealous. I may look into pricing and see if I can stretch my meagre budget a little. Although a single regional map probably isn't the best choice to print out. Dunno.

And unlucky with the missus not working there anymore. She would have probably lost her job for print-room abuse though if she had access now anyway.

Edit: I don't think I've gone into any detail about what the Mandrai are in any of my previous posts. I'll mention a little about them when I do the write up in the finished maps section.

I used Posterjack to print my map. There's a UK site as well and their prices are OK I think:

http://www.posterjack.tv/?sw=1
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Ooh, that's not bad at all. I was expecting far worse than that.

Thanks a lot for that link, Gandwarf. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    I used Posterjack to print my map. There's a UK site as well and their prices are OK I think:

http://www.posterjack.tv/?sw=1
    Hey Gandwarf...
    Do we have a "publishing maps" useful links thread?
    Something that would contain "Things the Printer Will Ask You", "Here are good people to try", "Laminating Bedsheets 101", etc
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    Hey Gandwarf...
    Do we have a "publishing maps" useful links thread?
    Something that would contain "Things the Printer Will Ask You", "Here are good people to try", "Laminating Bedsheets 101", etc
    No, we don't have such a thread I think (specific to publishing maps).
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast