Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Aronbor... or Perdon

Blog Entries

Ok, time for a new update.

Since the last post I've added some more towns in but I still want to add quite a few more. I've moved a few rivers in the north and deleted one or two small ones that were bugging me.
    I've swapped the locations of a tower and town in the north as it makes more sense since I added a new river in this map that wasn't on the overland one.
    I've taken tentative steps into using some sketched brushes as markers. So far I have a little house to represent a town, a tower to represent a.. er... tower, and a castle to represent the capital (which took me FAR longer than I would have liked to get it to a stage where I'm sorta ok with it). I still need to add icons for a city, a keep, ruins and any other stuff I need.
    I'm not completely sold on using the pictorial icons at the moment but I don't find them totally offensive. I'll see if I want to change them once I've lived with them for a while.
    I've also very quickly roughed in some roads and sea lanes. Again, not sure if this is the style I will stick with or whether I will change them, the roads, for instance, I had pictured as an unbroken line but for now they are ok as they are.
    Umm... probably changed a few other things too but my mind's gone blank now. Need sleep, hehe.

Ah well, here it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aronbor10.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	17287

Edit: In fact... just looking at it on here I can see straight away that I will change the roads to a different style. I don't like them as they are, even thought they're only roughed.
    Last edited by Ramah; 10-01-2009 at 08:08 PM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I really love your font choice for the town lables. Gorgeous font, whatever it is... I don't recognize it.

I admit it, your maps are just stunning... I love watching this one evolve.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    I really love your font choice for the town lables. Gorgeous font, whatever it is... I don't recognize it.

I admit it, your maps are just stunning... I love watching this one evolve.
    Thanks a lot.

The smaller font is called "Handserif" which I got from dafont.com and I agree, it's a really great font. It has the classy, formal style lettering while still having that hand-written vibe, which is just perfect really for a hand-drawn style map.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Wow. That's really nice. Love your mountains and hills...and I would have guessed you did that large font by hand. Beautiful work!
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I really like your town. tower and capital icons - they work well with the style/theme of the map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

very nice map!

one little thing though, "Freedom" on the Island of Andor doesn't have a symbol... dunno if its supposed to be like that or not

Blog Entries

Thanks.

Yeah, at the moment it's supposed to be like that as I'm still unsure whether to actually include any lables/markers for places outside Aronbor other than the main country/island labels. I placed it there in my first pass of labelling and am still unsure whether to just remove it or make it more permanent.

I'm hoping to get another update posted tonight, now that I've had a chance to do some more work on it this evening. I've changed the roads to something I feel is a little more fitting, I've removed the sea-lanes for now as I'm not sure I really even want them in. I'm in the process of adding a new clump of hills in (which I'm tearing my hair out with I as I just don't seem to be able to get my brush/opacity/whatever back to how it was when I originally did them. :s

Blog Entries

Ok, here's the latest update.

I've added a range of hills in the Northern Midgen area, several towns, changed the roads to something more fitting. I've left one sealane on, done in the same style as the roads (minus the freehand stroke I added on the roads), just as I ponder whether to do more or not.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aronbor11.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	17399

Great... great stuff.
    Love the little houses and castles.

This is a map I would expect to come shipped with a computer game, preferably printed on some cloth. Like in the old days
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot. I always used to love those maps. One that I especially loved, although it wasn't on cloth, was the map that came with Morrowind. Great stuff.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast