Thread: Maps for Printing - Tips?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

For printing at home, your colors will always be darker on the page than they were on the screen. The quality of the paper you use is as important as the quality of the image. Don't let the printer driver adjust anything you don't have to. That is, scale properly in Photoshop prior to starting the print, and in the Color Handling, change "Printer Manages Color" to "Photoshop Manages Color."

And remember that what you see on the screen is a lie. Unless you have the means to profile both your monitor and your printer, you're only going to be able to guess at what the actual image will look like. Be prepared to make 3 - 5 prints before you get one that looks the way you want it to, and learn to love the Curves adjustment layer.

And after you've spent the time and material to make 3 - 5 test prints on your inkjet with expensive paper, you'll realize what a good deal professional printing is!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post At least I know what I'm doing...

Lucky for me, I've been printing for so many years that once I open a client's map file, I know to up the brightness 12% and print and I can come very close to what is on the monitor. I almost never need to print more than one time per job. Sometimes when I get files that are consistently pastel in colors or otherwise very subdued, it is more difficult to get an exact print equivalent to what is seen on the computer screen.

I don't profile my monitor to my printer, I do it all by eye.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Lucky for me, I've been printing for so many years that once I open a client's map file, I know to up the brightness 12% and print and I can come very close to what is on the monitor. I almost never need to print more than one time per job. <snip>

I don't profile my monitor to my printer, I do it all by eye.
    The pro's advantage, and the reason that I do very little important printing myself. There's no substitute for experience in printing. And having a better printer than the $250 all-in-one that I got for free six years ago.

Thanks for that 12% pointer, by the way!

Post Please note...

Please note that the 12% brightness factor pertains to my current specific printer, as my previous printer required only a 9% brightness increase. The brightness factor is entirely dependant on your specific printer. 12% may not work for you - you need to know your printer, as I do mine.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I see. Well, maybe someday I'll do some experiments. Probably not, though. I'd rather just send it to someone like you—way less frustrating.