Thread: September Entry: Lynch the Scribe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Classic "D&D" map, though of course a lot more sophisticated than anything we ever did back in the day--it evokes nostalgia for simpler times when fun was easier to come by and every wrinkle we threw in was a first.

It got me to thinking about back then and how things have changed. It was thirty years ago when I placed my first game of Dungeons and Dragons, and last week I played my last. We just finished a year-long campaign, and we won't be playing D&D again. We plan to kick the tires on Heroes for a month or three, then slide into Pathfinder. Needless to say, 4E didn't impress.

Anyway, thanks for triggering the memories. I think it's the simple lines and clarity of the map that do it, so that's a quality you might want to preserve as you develop the project. You'll find no shortage of folks around here worshiping at the alter of simplicity, but we all too often come up short when it's time to tithe there. I guess it's a hat tip to the fact that, while we emulate cartographers, the actual purpose of our projects is frequently to impress with our artistic talent or sense of style or clever ideas, rather than to convey information as effectively and efficiently as possible.

I look forward to watching this one develop.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I wanna lynch the scribe for those coastlines Good job so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps