Thread: Giau'Rexan, Imperium Haereticum Jugis Redigis, WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm getting reeeeeeeeal tired of GIMP's bulls***. I stupidly went to work labeling without saving and the damn thing crashed when my screen saver went on, killing about an hour of work. I had the entire Imperial section labeled, all the towns, forts, ports, regions, everything. Also, "Text to Path" is really only good for writing along a very simple arc, and "Path to Selection"-ing the text-adapted paths either takes ten minutes to process or just crashes GIMP entirely. Why the hell didn't they include text manipulation as a built-in feature? Freaking Microsoft Word has had built-in text manipulation since the nineties.

Ah, this is just me bitching. I need a new computer. My 2 GHz dual-core and 2 gigs of RAM aren't going to cut it much longer. At this rate I'll have to do a simplified big continent and then detail each quadrant of the Imperium individually. You can sort of see the thing I'm going for with the labeling here, the Dragonborn areas using an Arabian Nights-flavored typeface while the human areas have a good old fashioned Roman font.

EDIT: A bit of tinkering around in Inkscape has shown me the light. I accept Inkscape as my personal savior, and it is through this program that the grace of tracing text along a path and exporting it as a PNG shall be delivered. Kyrie eleison, amen, allahu akbar, etc.

Also, a bit more research has shown me just how rusty my Latin (and how non-rigorous my translation process) is. What I wrote as the thread title was "Heretical Empire of the Continuous Reduction." Terrae minorae means "of the smaller/lesser land," so I'll go with that for the final labeling. I need to brush up on this stuff.

EDIT: Updated with all the stuff that I lost. Feedback would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giau'Rexan Labels.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	17094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giau'Rexan Labels2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	17095  
    Last edited by Gregorus Prime; 09-26-2009 at 04:57 AM.