Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World map WIP

Wow. It has been forever since I've posted anything to this thread. I haven't given up on this world map...it's just kind of low on my list of things to get to. I have actually done a wee bit of work on it.

I have attached my reworked world map...just the outlines...and what I'm working with for my continent-of-interest (Dazhou).

Also attached are some zoom-ins of my sort of wishy-washy attempts at hand-texturing the thing. I like the jungle and forest stuff but just haven't been able to make a go of the open lands. Maybe it's silly to do this anyway. You can't see this stuff at continent level...but then again you can't see wood-cut mountains and forests either so...
    M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World---Outlines.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	18195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dazhou1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	18196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dazhou2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	18197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dazhou3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	18198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dazhou4.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	18199  

Hmmm. Guess the limit is 5 images. Okay. Well, here's the Ascension-styled continent map. I guess it's rather similar to one I've already posted...but it's my current continent view.
    M

BTW, I will look again at the FAQs but didn't see anything about cleaning up old files. Am I supposed to be deleting old files or is there an automated process (or unlimited storage)?

Name:	Dazhou---Ascension.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	18200  

You don't need to clean up. Space isn't an issue yet.

Nice continent by the way. It does look like some of your lakes don't have outlets to the sea?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

@Gandwarf: Thanks. I'm not 100% sure that my hydrology will stand up to the river police and I need to look at it again. Many of the largest of those are supposed to be very deep, according to my backstory, and surrounded by higher ground. Not sure that gets around the need to have them drain on the surface to the sea. Imma consult some real maps again before I finalize those. I have another problem with rivers in that I had intended at least one to get to the northeast coast, where my city Haibianr is supposed to sit - but I ended up making a pretty solid wall of mountains over there.
    M

There are plenty of large bodies of water in this world that do NOT drain to the ocean. As long as the geography supports a bowl like topography. The glacial(sp) action created a lot of interesting terrain in north america.
    Last edited by AlohaRover; 11-08-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I know of five such large bodies of water. I am sure that there are others but these are the five that I know of - The Dead Sea (I think it's actually below sea level so it would have to flow uphill to get to the ocean), Crater Lake in Oregon, The Great Salt Lake in Utah, the Aral Sea between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, and the Caspian Sea just west of there is the largest. This link will give you some more info - Endorheic

Name:	screenie2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	18478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	18479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie 3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	18480   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie 4.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	938.7 KB 
ID:	18481   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie 5.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	18482  

If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The Aral Sea hardly qualifies as a large body of water these days. Hooray Soviet water policies!

Me, I'm partial to Lake Titicaca in South America, if for reason other than it's fun to say. Edit: Never mind, it has an outflow. Tiny one, but there. Lake Chad, now, that's a different story.
    Last edited by waldronate; 11-08-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Woo Hoo! I guessed all of those bodies of water by their shape before I read the names! Am I cool or what? (The word geek comes to mind)

Now back to the map. Keep it coming! It is looking great!

Geek, cool... there's a difference?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123