Thread: Kerynia (Before & After)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some things I would suggest to improve on your map:
    Desaturate the ocean by 50% - the vibrancy of the water is pulling the eyes away from the island itself.

Blend the transition from the mountains to the lush green lowland areas - that area of contrast is very strong. Don't blend it all to the same extent, vary the amount in different areas from some to none - again the contrast in colors is drawing the eye too strongly to those edge regions. The mountains bother me for another reason, they are straight top down view and there is no shading to give them elevation. The mountains on the sketch that was provided are killer, they really are the predominant features of the map.

Take all shading off the face of the font - it is a lovely font but the soft bevel shading on its face is making it illegible. Give your fonts a contrasting outline the sets the face of the font off from the background, alternatively just go with a plain white font with a drop shadow and see if that doesn't work for you.

Again these are just suggestions. I know when I feel a piece of my art is done and I don't want to mess with it any more, so I certainly understand if you are happy with your map. I also try to push myself with every piece I do, learning more and getting closer to creating what is in my minds eye. So I am a pusher..hehe
    Last edited by Tom_Cardin; 09-16-2009 at 01:32 PM.