Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Strange Fantasy Map Please

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Looking closer, I forgot it was a top down view - I was thinking it was isometric for some reason. Plus showing the mist at the bottom of a bottomless chasm wouldn't really make sense, lol. Though maybe have the waves bend when they get close, and have a mist effect right at the edges?

This is a toughie!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Sorry to make it so difficult!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Challenging is good - it's what pushes us all to become better. If everything was easy, we'd never improve, right?

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Haha, don't be sorry! Coyote's right, this is pushing me to get better. Heck, when it comes down to it, it was my bright idea to put that gorge in the middle of the ocean in the first place.

After some Google-fu, it looks like most of the mist actually comes from the bottom of a waterfall, so there wouldn't be much if any on a bottomless pit. There could be some froth at the top if there were rocks, but with something as deep as an ocean, I'm not sure. Gonna let this problem stew while I do something easier like forests

Ok, I will try to think about it too (but, seeing as I am not very artistic, i wouldnt count on it much).

Well, I got the forests in. I'm not sure I'm liking this look, but maybe I'm just stuck thinking inside the realism box. Gonna sleep on it, and see what I think of it tomorrow.

I think it looks pretty cool, but I also think more realistic maps can look cool too. Also, I am sure the more you like the way it looks, the better you will be able to make it, so I leave it in your capable hands.

The bottomless pit should be so dark you can't see anything. Like the drop shadows on the islands inside it. If you did that and maybe put a little blur around the border, I think it would look great. (I could be wrong, of course, but if I am, you can always undo and try something else.) That's really the only weak spot in the map.

Thanks!

Reworked the map to a more realistic look. I think I like the bottomless pit better now, and I added some general contours to the land to make the different areas pop better.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast