Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Strange Fantasy Map Please

I like what you did with this one. It is nice to have an idea how tall the moutains are by just a glance. Also, the bottomless pit looks good. Sorry, short post, very late, very tired. Look at it better tomorrow.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Oh yes. that's coming along VERY nicely. **applause**

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks guys

Note to LadyTear:
    I've been meaning to post on river violations for some time, and I keep forgetting, so I'm doing it now before I forget again. There were bound to be some quirky rivers in this map since the normal rules don't really apply, but I thought I'd list em out so that you can be thinking about some in-game consequences of them.

Obviously the river in delusia is odd. Since it runs circular and has no outlet, it's probably either very sluggish (like a big dougnut-sized lake), or it races around that circle continuing to erode its path trying to find a way out and could be a fair-sized canyon.

The lake with no outlet in ghost country is at the center of a huge marsh, slowly filling the entire crater.

There's another lake with no outlet in Malevolot ... I've been thinking of that one as the Dead Sea in my mind.

And the third no-outlet lake up in Rockland .... I'm betting that whole country is riddled with caves, and the lake drains through one or more of them to the ocean (which could be a neat dungeon-delving setting).

Just food for thought for your campaign.

First, I will make a more awake post about the map. As I said, I really like how you can see how tall the mountains are from the map. I also noticed you did the same sort of thing for the planes, so you have some hilly plans. I like the way that turned out. I especially liked the way the book ended up looking. The sand dunes in Sandlash are also really cool. The snake is beautiful. I especially like the little lake dot, is that for an eye?

I also have been thinking about it, and I think I wanted to change the name of Keito. I never really like it much, just a random Japanese sounding name. So, I think I will go with Shimaguni, if that is ok with you. It sounds cooler and actually means something.

Now for the rivers. I figured the rivers for delusia would have varying speeds. Sometimes it will go really fast, sometimes it will be stagnant. It will also flow in both directions. If you see a problem with that, let me know.

I like the ideas for the crater in Mystik and the dead sea like lake in Malevolot. yes Rockland is full of caves. I like the idea of outlets in underground caves. Lots of stuff to now work on and have set up.

Overall, it is looking great. Thanks for everything you are doing, and thanks for the great ideas for the game!

On the eye: it didn't start that way, but I noticed the resemblance there too. Unintended, but if you like it, great

Of course you can use Shimaguni, it's just the result of a little google-fu after all!

On the rivers in Delusia, you can honestly do whatever you like with them! I just wanted to make sure you knew they were kinda odd, so that you could plan for your game accordingly.

I've been a bad girl and read a book today instead of working on maps hehehe ... for the record, Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson is a very good read

Your not bad for reading. It is good to read. I havent read Mistborn, what type of book is it?

Fantasy, of course He's the author that's been tapped to finish the Wheel of Time series, so I wanted to see what his writing was like. I'm very impressed; it looks like the final books of WoT will be well worth reading.

Edit: Oh ... and oops. You meant the lake in the snake looked like an eye ... yeah, that was intentional. I thought you meant the lake in the crater, which also kinda looked like an eyeball once I put the feeding rivers in.
    Last edited by Gidde; 10-03-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Avoid double post

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I believe he was the personal choice of Robert Jordan's wife (and publisher) to finish the series.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

He's got a pretty cool site too, where he talks about why there's going to be more than one final book.

Back to the WIP ... put in volcanoes and lava flows. At this scale it's tough to do anything really cool with them
    Last edited by Gidde; 10-04-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast