Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Inn for VTT

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I gave you some rep for this. btw, I have played with Sketch-Up, but not really being an artist, I can't really get anything done worth nothing. How large are the files when you save them? I was wondering if anyone has started gathering fantasy (or sci-fi or modern) buildings/towns/locations into making a modular world view that could be used at the gaming table as a quick "walk through" I know I have seen some amazing screenshots someone posted over on EN World where a guy built a whole dungeon or dwarven type complex (with like a 500 foot stairway even.)

Joe
    Someone did an "instant town" somewhere.

This inn that you see, with all it's detailed components ( I modelled everything, including the chairs, barstools, etc. ) is about 10 mb.

I have an itch to create a series of 5'x5' components for dungeon mapping. It is very simple to layout components in Sketchup, so it would be usable as a quick-n-dirty dungeon map for use in game. Similar to the physical dungeon tiles that WOTC puts out, but of course on screen, which is much cooler.

I have a nice setup in my living room where I have an HDTV over the fireplace, so I can display high res graphics that can be seen by everyone during gaming....

Quote Originally Posted by darelf View Post
    Someone did an "instant town" somewhere.

This inn that you see, with all it's detailed components ( I modelled everything, including the chairs, barstools, etc. ) is about 10 mb.

I have an itch to create a series of 5'x5' components for dungeon mapping. It is very simple to layout components in Sketchup, so it would be usable as a quick-n-dirty dungeon map for use in game. Similar to the physical dungeon tiles that WOTC puts out, but of course on screen, which is much cooler.

I have a nice setup in my living room where I have an HDTV over the fireplace, so I can display high res graphics that can be seen by everyone during gaming....
    Cool. I would still want to use something like Maptool for the actual tactical part of it when running a battle, but 3D is really nice to set a stage so to speak (though you probably could us sketch up as a VTT without much difficulty if you can "build it"). Especially if you really want to convey height, which is something you cannot really do super well in a flat over head image.

Like you, I love the collaborative elements. For me, I fairly well suck at anything resembling artistic ability, but do pretty well with design philosophy and plot storming. I have good ideas about visual elements, but am horrible at the actual implementation in most cases.

I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I would really like to see some more Sketch Up work here.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Okay, I had a spare half hour, so here's a sign. It's not done yet, but this should get you started.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hart's Desire.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	257.2 KB 
ID:	4492

Oh, and as for the 3D stuff. There was some chat about maptool moving to a 3D graphics engine (note - not actually saying it will be 3D) for the 2.0 line. This started discussion about the lack for 3D models for dungeon design compared to the amount of 2D material out there. You seem to have some interesting ideas on that. Might be worth dropping in. The conversation is at the end of the current dev thread on 1.3.b32. I guess DDI whet everyone's appetites for 3D

I should be finishing some documentation, but no...

Here's a first draft of the sign:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sign1v1.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	4493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sign1v2.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	4494  

I think you should be able to see the wood texture through the image more. Also, this would look rockin' on a suspended sign rather than on a pole.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I agree about the colours. Maybe the best plan is to use a greyscale image of the wood texture to bump map the colours so that it looks like they are opaque colours painted on to rough wood. Hmmm, could you post a high res shot of the blank sign, both sides? I'll mess with the sign a bit more. That lettering is too inconspicuous and the font is wrong. Any suggestions for a nice font for this?

Also, darelf - there's a lot of chat going on over on the maptool forum about 3D stuff. I'm sure it won't be supporting sketchup any time soon but I'd like top post a couple of these screenshots over there nonetheless if you wouldn't mind?

RPMiller - I agree about the suspended sign. That would look good.

Sorry, I've been busy. Yes, go ahead and use whatever. If not otherwise mentioned, all this Inn is the same license as your original VTT Inn images.

Yeah, I like the idea of a suspended sign. I'll try to knock one out today.

I wanted to get an "embellished" top where it has a nice curve with the little round bit in the middle... I don't know the terms for these things, but I'll post a picture of it once I get it together.

Definitely something thicker for the font... I like Caslon Antique if you have a bold version of that. ( I'm not sure if the original Caslon even had a bold version... )

Here's a hanging no-image version of the sign. That way if you want more transparency or whatever, you can adjust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plainsign.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	655.4 KB 
ID:	4559  

Thanks. I'll have a play with that and see what I can come up with.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast