Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inn for VTT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    When it comes to dirtying up the place, there are some great scratch and scuff mark overlays over at the dundjinni forums that would look good. Gimp's good old "coffee stain fu" might also create quite a nice effect.
    Can you provide us with some links or what to search for on the Dundjinni forums, and also what does the "coffee stain fu" refer to, for us nonGimp users?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

It's a script in gimp that adds coffee stains and other muck to a picture. I've never played with it, but that's an excellent idea. I'll definitely have a go with that when I get the .xcf file back!

Neat. I wonder if there is a similar filter for PS.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Neat. I wonder if there is a similar filter for PS.
    There is, I believe available from alienskin:

Xenofex 2 stain filter

available here: http://www.alienskin.com/xx2/index.html

Unfortunately, it is a little pricey. If you can handle it, the same effect can be made with the layer styles/effects. If you want to know how let me know. Sorry to hijack this thread.

Sandeman
    Last edited by kalmarjan; 07-24-2007 at 03:30 PM.
    What???? You mean there is NO MAGIC RENDER BUTTON!

Quote Originally Posted by kalmarjan View Post
    There is, I believe available from alienskin:

Xenofex 2 stain filter

available here: http://www.alienskin.com/xx2/index.html

Unfortunately, it is a little pricey. If you can handle it, the same effect can be made with the layer styles/effects. If you want to know how let me know. Sorry to hijack this thread.

Sandeman
    You know what? I think I have that already. I'll have to double check. Unfortunately it is on my home computer so can't yet.

Regardless I would be very interested in how you achieve similar effects. Go ahead and start a new thread and teach.

Okay, so I've had a bit of a play with the floor (I got my laptop back complete with the xcf file). I used some tips from a stained parchment tutorial (linked to by Kalmarjan here) to add some random stains to the floor. I also pulled a lot of the colour out of it to make it look a little more worn. I haven't put all the set dressing into this one (that only comes when I put it into maptool - the players like to throw stuff about, so I import the furniture as separate objects). Anyway, comments on the floor stains and the new overall look will be much appreciated. Here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LHGrnd3.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	3.04 MB 
ID:	587

That is a definite improvement! Well done. I still think some black soot staining around the front of the fireplaces and of course the strewn straw in the horse area would enhance it just a touch more, but overall it really has a much more lived in appearance. I think your players will be very pleased.

I really appreciate the chandelier. There's nothing like a good chandelier swing to liven up a bar brawl. Very thoughtful of you as a GM, and hopefully your players will take advantage of it....

Cheers and very nice map!

Thanks. They had better use the chandelier, after I placed it there so carefully...

On a similar theme I thought this might be a good place to ask. I'm currently doing the set dressing on the Inn and I was trying to think of entertaining things to have in a bar fight and I'm drawing a bit of a blank. So if anybody has any particular favourite items for a bar fight, please suggest them!

Okay, I have dressed the Inn and thought I'd post some pictures. The set dressing is done by placing the objects (separate .png files) on to the base map in maptools. So I've exported some screenshots of the dressed inn with both player and GM views. Changes from previous posts: The floor got a bit muddier and the hearths now have some charcoal smudges. Thanks for the grunge brush link for those. All the objects are my own creation in gimp, except for the horses which were lifted from www.rpgmapshare.com and created by a guy called steelrat - who runs the site.

Anyway, here they are:

Players' and GM's views of the ground floor:

Name:	playerView.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	708.9 KB 
ID:	663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GMView.png 
Views:	380 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	664

Player's and GM's views of the first floor:

Name:	PlayerViewLv1.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	438.2 KB 
ID:	666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GMViewLv1.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	945.1 KB 
ID:	665

Any further C&C appreciated, though these are pretty well done now. All that is left is to add in the other patrons and have a full on bar fight!

If anyone wants to use these, feel free. I can easily create a version with all the set dressing but without the maptool shading for ease of use. Let me know if this would be helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast