Thread: Map Resolution?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I was told by a FedEx Kinko's Employee that if you are going to print your maps that 240ppi was perfect for their machines. Prior to that I always did my work in 300ppi, but ever since I've knocked it down to 240.

Their rationale was that anything over 240ppi would cause the ink to run together while printing at the native ppi. I have actually experineced that first hand, so I just always do it at 240ppi.

Most of the time I don't pay attention to dpi. Probably should.

I mostly pay attention to the pixels by pixels size of the map. Some maps I have created are 8000 pixels by 4000 pixels for global maps. I think the largest I made was 50,000 pixels by 25,000 pixels. But that was on my Linux workhorse with dual Quad-Core AMD processors and 32GB RAM. However, I keep updating that machine and the next update will include two more Quad-Core processors. Afterwards, I plan to update the amount of RAM. Then again, the machine is a SGI Workstation based machine...

For Windows, about the largest I will go is about 10,000 by 5000 pixels. Windows does not seem capable of handling more. Gads, I hate Windows...

rmfr
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."