Thread: Untitled layer mask test

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ok, this is a test at a larger scale - I think maybe I'll call it more than a test and do a bit more tweaking then call it finished.

And I've definitely become a lot more comfortable with using masks for terrain. I didn't even refer back to the tutorials or working notes this time!

AslanC and I are working on a redesign for his world, and I suspect we've got a finalized version at last. I'm planning on using the masking to do the entire map (8000x5000 if i recall) and do the whole darn thing in one go so it's more consistent this time. It wasn't bad before, but a few of the areas looked far too much like 2 straight edged maps pasted together (which in a way, was exactly what they were).

I'm also debating the merits of the entire layer being filled with pattern before masking, or just the continents themselves being filled in (maybe with a bit of overlap for tweaking). Considering it's the same seamless tiled pattern, would the full layer be more of a memory load?

So, we now present Atlantis (more or less)...

Anyhow, here's the Atlantis analog!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	masking layers copy.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	950.6 KB 
ID:	16954  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."