karro: thanks, looks like even my failures look cool these days

craggles: i figured out a better way to explain my problem.
I'm trying to use a single mask for the entire landmass (minus the mountains and forests). This involves 3 ocean layers, and originally I was looking to add 3 more land layers on top of the basic land shape for terrain variations along different parts of the shoreline. The problem I ran into was that I ended up needing to put the layer effects on 2 different layers. I think the problem I ran into was that I was using the pattern fill for the textures, and that was hiding one of the glow effects (i was trying a subtle shore outline for inner, and ocean gradient for outer). The goal i was trying to achieve was to have each layer completely solid black filled, and *everything* else being done through layer effects and mask. So due to the pattern fill (which needed to be at 100% opacity) I could not show both glows on the same layer without one getting masked out be another layer or covered by a pattern fill.

If you follow what i mean.

I compromised by switching to each layer having it's own solid pattern instead of black colour, with no pattern fill layer style, but I forgot to go back and try to add the layer effects I *originally* wanted to use now that the pattern style wasn't covering anymore.

I'll give that a try and if that still doesn't work, I'll upload that psd and see what can be done.

(and btw, i just wanted to say, that tutorial rocked. I really do well with your teaching style, there's a lot of subtle things you add in there when talking that act as "memory anchors" for lack of a better term. Wonderful job there)