Hi - I'm glad you found the tutorial useful.
(and it's 'craggles')

but there was a spot where I was trying to get an outer glow and an inner glow to show up at the same time and the masks wouldn't let me.
This depends on how you've set up the layers. On a layer that has a mask, you can create an inner and outer glow without any problems.

The issues start if the layer in question is within a layer group that has a mask which may hide the inner or outer glow (depending on whether the layer group (the folder in the layers panel) mask is revealing or hiding the land mass) or if the layer (with the inner and outer glow) is being clipped by a layer below which also clips the layer effect.

If you like, I can have a look at the photoshop file and find the problem for you.
But you'll need to drop the resolution of the file so it's small enough to email/upload quickly. Once I find the problem layer, you can replicate the solution on your original higher res file. The layer image you've attached is handy to see but I'll also need to look at what effect is applied to each of the layers.