Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Photoshop) Create a dungeon floorplan in minutes (dial-up killer)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Where did you find those beds? I'm looking for such a bed right now actually.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

homemade, i can post a copy of just the beds if ya wish, won't be til tomorrow though, I'm off to bed... started a new job today and got knowledge overload...
    The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs of online pen and paper style roleplaying.

Guild Member

nevermind, if yer looking now... i know how it is... here's the bed as a png... you'll have to clear drop shadow yerself though,,, i had merged the layers for bed...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Tangled Web A community for players and DMs of online pen and paper style roleplaying.

Thanks! If you happen to have the original or remember how you made it that would be even better. I'll make do with this one for now.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Member

just a quick note on how i made the bed...

it consists of 4 layers:

1: bottom layer, transparent

2: bedpost layer ((just make four circles of similar size after you draw the mattress and space them at edges... color them a light brown and then use layer effects to give them bevel and texture))

3: Mattress layer ((simply use the Rounded Box tool to draw the shape and color the sheets whatever color you want and then play with various Satin settings until it looks like sheets are ruffled a bit))

4: Pillow Layer ((another Rounded Box that is colorized and satinized))

Once you have created all the above layers and objects... and you have a good looking bed made up, you just merge all the layers that make up the bed and apply a drop shadow. Make sure you set your background to transparent before saving. ((I usually keep a dark BG while drawing and then just hide the BG layer before saving. Oh yeah, save it as a png or gif else the transparency won't apply. ((png preferably, gifs suck at rendering drop shadows))
    Last edited by Duvik; 08-01-2007 at 03:23 PM.

I actually avoid merging layers as much as possible to make future editing easier. For example, what I would change with your directions above is after step 3 I would use the selection tool to select the transparent layer but use all layers. This would give me the outline of the bed including posts. I would then invert the selection, create a new layer and then fill it with whatever color. I would then use that layer to create the drop shadow and move it to the bottom. This would also give a nice appearance of height to the bed.

I always forget about that Satin Filter's usefulness. I really need to use that more often me thinks. Thanks for the step by step on the bed! I'll rep you when I can do it again.

Guild Member

Well, I should have said that I usually save the psd, then merge the layers, then add the drop shadow, then just move the finished bed to the map in question.

The problem i find with this method is... sometimes I forget to f12 revert the image back to its saved state before closing and... I'll accidentally select 'yes' when asked if i want to save the file with changes. I've ruined a few projects like that.

I would use the selection tool to select the transparent layer but use all layers.
    If i knew how to do that... it'd prob save me many headaches. How do I make it 'use all layers' when on the transparent layer?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvik View Post
    If i knew how to do that... it'd prob save me many headaches. How do I make it 'use all layers' when on the transparent layer?
    See the highlighted area:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alllayers.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	578  

Help Photoshop Dungeon mapping

I have photoshop CS and I have wanted for a long time to draw out maps with it, but I really don't know how to use everything. I was looking for a video tutorial that had somebody using photoshop to make a dungeon map, cuz every single tutorial i find is for a world overview map. If anybody can put a link up that would be really helpful, I've spent the last week looking a tutorial. If I can get one that shows me how to do everything from beginning to end for a map, then i can make maps and scenario's for my friends and I. Thanks.

Guild Member

What exactly is giving you trouble from the first tutorial in this thread? Is it a matter of not recognizing the tools mentioned for each task? I'm curious as I feel it's pretty straight-forward except for the lack of step by step images.

I wanna post some pics up but i've gotten busy over the last couple weeks.

My best recommendation if it is just a matter of not recognizing tools would be to just google each tool that gives you trouble. There a numerous basic PS tutorials out there and most tutorials on precise subjects like map making or image retouching, will assume a basic familiarity with such things as pen tool, lasso selection, and all those other buttons on the toolbar.

You'll find tons of PS basics videos out there for free methinks but... to find one specifically for cartography uses would be a real gem if anyone could find or make one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast