Thread: September Entry: "Feeding Hills" Village Maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map

I realized several days ago that I have little hope of meeting Friday’s challenge deadline. I'd need until the end of the month to pull off both halves of this "before and after" map. So I’ve shifted my focus to crafting the strongest double-map images I can for the publisher.

Now that I'm freed from the deadline, I'm indulging myself exploring a slew of different techniques that I've never tried before. I'm experimenting and inventing. I'm also foolishly obsessing on time-consuming details so miniscule that they likely won't be visible in the published product. I should abandon these tiny fixations, but they present brand new challenges, and I love trying to figure out how to do something artistic with no guidance or inkling how to pull it off. Creative battles that I don’t know how to win engage me the most. Once I understand a routine or set of procedures likely to produce successful results, I start to lose interest in it. So much for efficiency!

Here's a tiny slice from the developing map. This detail comprises about one sixteenth of the full map's area. Lost to do! No chimneys yet, or split-rail fences. The blur of the trees feels incongruous with the unnecessarily sharp clarity of the buildings. I've bungled the stone wall's perspective; it leans too far to the left in the sweep of its turn. The water ripples feel too large for the rest of the image's scale. Most of these imperfections seem less jarring when I pull back to see the entire image. But I'd still like to correct them before turning the map over to the publisher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village Buildings.jpg 
Views:	3882 
Size:	358.9 KB 
ID:	17016  
    Last edited by Ashenvale; 09-24-2009 at 07:51 AM.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Map

Here's a broader view of the developing village (showing about 50%-60% of the complete map's area). Time to stop procrastinating on the church.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Village Buildings Detail 02.jpg 
Views:	2513 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	17026  
    Last edited by Ashenvale; 09-24-2009 at 12:05 PM.