Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sketch Practice

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, guys. I'll finish this when my back gets better but for now I'm sorta zombie-like. I'll also need to update my style as it is quite dated now when compared to the current state of the game.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

My back is getting less stiff so I was able to finish this today...sort of (not gonna do a background as I don't really feel like it).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warrior 1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	17367  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

You seem to be a man of many talents
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coll stuff here Ascension - my only critique would be that the mouth looks a little strange, but I'm not sure how you would fix it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yep, that part's been killin me. I've never been able to draw lips.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I remember something from a class I took once...for mouths use 2 parallel lines; the top line would be however wide you want the 'lips, the bottom about 40-50% of the length and centered underneath.

Not sure if that would work with your style.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very nice. Everytime I try to draw people they turn out all stiff. That's find for ancient Egyptian tomb drawings but not for a more realistic approach. I draw stuff now and it's terrible when compared to the work I did when I was 16.

For your warrior's mouth, it looks like he has no upper lip. I would add a bit of the same colour as his lower lip to the top. Make sure the middle part of the upper lip colour aligns with the little "quotation" notch under the nose.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Yep, I'm aware of all that stuff, just never been good at lips except those fake wax kinds Just one of those things for me.

At any rate, here's my second "refresher" that I'm messin with...dancing girl The first one is clearly crap but it shows the stance that I wanted; the second one is rotating the figure more toward the viewer to be more dynamic, actually taking my time, and making her a bit more Frazetta-like. Still working on the top hand and elevated foot. Once those are done I'll put in some hair and harem clothes and sparkly jingly things.

Edit: whoa, I forgot that I was working big on these, I've been doing the drawing at 30% zoom...oy vey, sorry.

Name:	dancer1.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	17407   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dancer2.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	17408  

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The first one is clearly crap but it shows the stance that I wanted;
    LOL. Your 'crap' is about a zillion times better than I could manage - even if you gave me a photo and some tracing paper!
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Spent some time looking at belly-dancer costumes but didn't really like any - vests make it too gypsy and pants and sleeves make it too Jasmine (from Disney's Aladdin) - so I made my own. Jewelry will take a long time but I'll do that last. Just about time to "ink" it or "paint" it...not sure which way I want to go...never done digital painting so I'll have to learn that.

Name:	dancer2.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	17435  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast