Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Terrain test for the World Of UBORA

Next stage The old caldera that became the bay. 58,000 years ago a volcanic hot spot formed under the island causing a large mound to form. The mound was mostly large gas pockets. This gas was slowly vented over time leaving a massive cave system that made the mountain a brittle bubble. When the sea broke in the water eroded the supporting structure. This caused the slow collapse of the mountain into the ocean forming the present bay. Does that work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATLAS UBORA - Lutalis Island-Lutalis Province.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	17937  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Aesthetically it looks cool, but I have no idea if the geology is sound.

Basically a caldera happens when volcanic eruptions are of such volume that a void forms in the magma chamber and the overlying crust... falls in. It isn't a bubble blown upward by gas pressure and then bursting.

Otherwise, in terms of appearance and such it seems good. Except... Scale is a problem. A 100 mile caldera seems to put Yellowstone to shame. This wouldn't be a dinosaur-killer eruption. More of a kill-the-dinosaurs--no-the-mammals-aren't-taking-over--they're-dead-too kind of ecosystem-killer. Maybe there will be some algae left to keep some oxygen in the air, but it won't be pretty.

I've been wanting to do a city called Caldera Bay for some time, but my caldera would be much smaller. Maybe Crater Lake-del-Mar.

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Basically a caldera happens when volcanic eruptions are of such volume that a void forms in the magma chamber and the overlying crust... falls in. It isn't a bubble blown upward by gas pressure and then bursting.

Otherwise, in terms of appearance and such it seems good. Except... Scale is a problem. A 100 mile caldera seems to put Yellowstone to shame. This wouldn't be a dinosaur-killer eruption. More of a kill-the-dinosaurs--no-the-mammals-aren't-taking-over--they're-dead-too kind of ecosystem-killer. Maybe there will be some algae left to keep some oxygen in the air, but it won't be pretty.

I've been wanting to do a city called Caldera Bay for some time, but my caldera would be much smaller. Maybe Crater Lake-del-Mar.
    OK that makes sense. Yes the scale is a bit too large. Just a normal bay then!

Redid the bay area. looks much better.

Views:	71 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	17987  

OK I'm adding rivers and lakes. look good or should I make the rivers a little thinner?

Views:	78 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	18077  

Looking pretty good. I don't think they necessarily need to be thinner but, instead, taper a bit more as they get to the source. Your mountains look great, BTW. I'm going to have to try that. Repping you if I didn't already.
    M

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I agree with Mearrin on the rivers, although you do have a few of them tapering nicely. Also, great job putting them in the "cracks" of the mountains. Looks very natural.

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Looking pretty good. I don't think they necessarily need to be thinner but, instead, taper a bit more as they get to the source. Your mountains look great, BTW. I'm going to have to try that. Repping you if I didn't already.
    M
    Thanks for the rep!

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I agree with Mearrin on the rivers, although you do have a few of them tapering nicely. Also, great job putting them in the "cracks" of the mountains. Looks very natural.
    Thanks. The difficult part is choosing the right one for major rivers that show up at this scale.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast