Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Terrain test for the World Of UBORA

Ok I'v been squinting at this too long and need a fresh pair of eyes on it. Question..Does this appear correct. It's a small island off the main coast only just under 20 km across.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	land test 001.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	35129  

Blog Entries

It looks really nice. Only that at the very skinny bit on the northern piece of the island, it looks a bit weird the way the slants of the mountain disappear suddenly and turn into a black outline.

Quote Originally Posted by Murcu View Post
    It looks really nice. Only that at the very skinny bit on the northern piece of the island, it looks a bit weird the way the slants of the mountain disappear suddenly and turn into a black outline.
    Yea I don't care for the outline myself. It takes the eye away from the map. Just need to find a way to fix it and keep as much of the detail as I can.

Blog Entries

Maybe you should change the shape of the map to fit the slopes of the mount and have little bits jut out?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You could try changing the black line to something tan/yellow/sand-y in color and then blur it a bit, might help soften the transition.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Murcu View Post
    Maybe you should change the shape of the map to fit the slopes of the mount and have little bits jut out?
    Interesting idea. I think I'll do some experimenting with that in mind. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    You could try changing the black line to something tan/yellow/sand-y in color and then blur it a bit, might help soften the transition.
    Yes a lighter color and a bit of judicious softening might just do the trick. Thanks!

OK
    I altered the coastline and gave it more detail. I used a dark sand color then added the lowest ground color and blended the edge. I think it looks much better.

Name:	land test 002.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	35150  

OK
    Re-did the terrain. The last terrain version I didn't take the scale into account. Next up will be adding the water channels and rivers.

Name:	land test 003.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	35160  

Would it be possible to get a large pic, the mountains look very nice from at this scale but it can't hurt to get a close look at them. Nice work nonetheless

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    Would it be possible to get a large pic, the mountains look very nice from at this scale but it can't hurt to get a close look at them. Nice work nonetheless

-D-
    Yea that's the max scale I have on the map. I was thinking about it when I added the scale bar. It seemed way too small a pic for The detail I want to do. I'm going to have to redo it at a much larger scale. If I zoom it out it gets way to fuzzy.
    This is of course more of an experiment so I have just learned I'm going to have a lot more work to do. No prob...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast