Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Completely Overwhelmed

Quote Originally Posted by voidgere View Post
    <snip . . .>
    In the end, I got overwhelmed by the number of layers, masks, filters and such and would always make a mistake that would not become evident until I was several steps past and could not reliably back track and fix them. This would result in me having to scrap the working copy and start over. I guess after all was said and done it was the amount of failures that disheartened me. It did this to the point that I wasn't having fun anymore and that saddened me.

I went into the learning process hoping that the computer would simplify the map making process and I came to realize just how complex and involved making a map with my computer actually was. This was counter productive to the reason I started this pursuit. I will keep working at it (as I never give up on anything), but I just wont have the fervor I did in the beginning.
    I think many of us have had these same feelings at times. Whether it was when we first started trying to create maps on our computers, or when we took on projects that were considerably larger than we were used to. I know, at least for myself, I go through highs and lows when it comes to creating maps, and sometimes the lows are tough to get out of regardless of why I've hit that low point. Sometimes it helps to take a few days (or weeks if need be) away from mapping and just let the batteries recharge.

And MSA had the right of it, so I'll gladly "Third" what he has already stated. The only thing I would add is to save, save, save. Save often, after each major step. That way, if you find a mistake later on down the line, you might be able to track it back and correct it. And as far as those mistakes go, don't feel like you're the only one. None of us are perfect, though there are a few here that may be darn close.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Member

And again the community comes together and exemplifies why I keep coming back. I would like to thank everyone for their support and words of encouragement. Perhaps I will start one of those WIP's I am always reading about and you guys can keep a CLOSE eye on my project.

I am going to compile the TLS and then start the WIP.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I get down every once in a while too. What helps is that I don't dwell on it for more than a minute or else I'd slip back into major depression, wear nothing but black, and generally be nihilistic all day. When ya compare yourself to others you'll almost always find yourself lacking...in any part of life. Keep yerself busy so that the mind doesn't have time to wander into bad areas.

What I would suggest to you is that if the tuts are confusing you then throw them away and create your own methods...that's what I did. Of course I didn't know that there were any tuts around when I first started To this day I still don't follow any methods other than my own...I read the other tuts and see how they do what they did and then try to incorporate something interesting into what I do. I could never do a map like RobA or Pyrandon or Ravells or Pasis, no matter how many times I did it. I can never get the same texturing that Steel does and I can never get the painted look that Torstan does or the old school of Turgenev. Heck, no two maps of mine are ever the same In the end, it's all about playing around and experimenting - the journey is the fun part, the destination never lives up to the hype...unless you're going to Vegas with a lot of money to throw away on dancing girls but that's a story for another time
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

One thing to bear in mind is that this site is a whole-world forum - the guys who post beautiful maps here are some of the best fantasy cartographers in the world.

It's hardly surprising if you don't quite reach their standards.

Would you expect to emulate Picasso, Dali or Van Gogh just by following a tutorial they'd written?

Ask yourself whether your map is readable and serves its purpose. If so, it's a good map. You can always get better, but expect it to take a lifetime.

You imply that you're creating a game for publication. If so, you need to create your own map from scratch, and time spent cleaning up someone else's map is largely wasted.

Your first published RPG doesn't need a photorealistic map, it needs one that shows the players where they are. Subsequent games can include better maps as you develop your technique, and if your players want to upgrade the map you've given them, they can always join Cartographers Guild.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Well after reading through this thread I had to throw in my $0.02.

Getting to be 'good' at something takes time and is a worthwhile process. There have been times where I have worked on a map then decided I'd had enough, but the encouragement of the folks here gives the 'old batteries' a jump and I get back to it. It may not be exactly what I had hoped for, but more times than not it is something I can take pride in.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well that i have been in the "artist" enviroment for a few years now (allthough not producing much, mostly watching and talking with them) only one thing is true: DO SOMETHING YOU LOVE

without love and passion nothing good will come out of what you do.... no matter how much yoou force yourself to do something..it will not be as good as work done with passion and love...

my best friend produces art, there have been times when she have wanted to give up because its so hard and that she feels like she doesnt develop enough... but one thing is sure... she is passionate about what she do, she loves what she do

and that is what pulls her through when things look dark and she jsut want to give up

now..she doesnt create maps..she creates drawings...mostly from our Rolleplays, or fan art from games... and when she look back on her earliest works and her developments, she agrees that she have developed as an artist....

find something you love, i can't tell how many times i have tried and force myself to draw something, create something in 3D Studio Max..... so..i gave cartography a shot...and i frigging love it

now..the question is..will i love it to the point that i will till do it even though everything seems black? well time will tell
    -Passioante Rolleplayer
    -Passionate Gamer
    -Passionate G33K

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12