Quote Originally Posted by voidgere View Post
<snip . . .>
In the end, I got overwhelmed by the number of layers, masks, filters and such and would always make a mistake that would not become evident until I was several steps past and could not reliably back track and fix them. This would result in me having to scrap the working copy and start over. I guess after all was said and done it was the amount of failures that disheartened me. It did this to the point that I wasn't having fun anymore and that saddened me.

I went into the learning process hoping that the computer would simplify the map making process and I came to realize just how complex and involved making a map with my computer actually was. This was counter productive to the reason I started this pursuit. I will keep working at it (as I never give up on anything), but I just wont have the fervor I did in the beginning.
I think many of us have had these same feelings at times. Whether it was when we first started trying to create maps on our computers, or when we took on projects that were considerably larger than we were used to. I know, at least for myself, I go through highs and lows when it comes to creating maps, and sometimes the lows are tough to get out of regardless of why I've hit that low point. Sometimes it helps to take a few days (or weeks if need be) away from mapping and just let the batteries recharge.

And MSA had the right of it, so I'll gladly "Third" what he has already stated. The only thing I would add is to save, save, save. Save often, after each major step. That way, if you find a mistake later on down the line, you might be able to track it back and correct it. And as far as those mistakes go, don't feel like you're the only one. None of us are perfect, though there are a few here that may be darn close.

GW