Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Map, done quickly

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Lovely work, and thanks for the tips on the watercolour look.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    It's interesting looking at the maps from different dates, you can actually see the style change a bit (not much though). In the map I'm working on, Transylvania, the lighting is from the right on the hills, the hills are a lot more craggy looking (though that might very well be intentional) and the trees are more round - these ones have a bit of definition to them.

Did you use a tablet at all for this? (i so so so need one, lol)
    I did use a tablet, nothing too fancy, just a cheap knockoff wacom with some basic pressure sensitivity. Without one, it would have taken much, much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Lovely work, and thanks for the tips on the watercolour look.
    Very welcome, I'm happy to share anything useful I've found, though I'm sure there are plenty of people that have stumbled on the same trick in the past. A little extra knowledge never hurts, and maybe the basic technique will give someone else an idea for something even better I can learn in return.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I must know: is this hand-lettered or done with a font. If with font, I must have your fonts! Reveal to me your secrets!

(Also, repped and rated. This is a very nice water-color style. My only critique: it would be nice to see the forest symbols be more varied in appearance and placement. It looks like maybe there are several trees, but for some reason the way they are placed makes them look very uniform.)
    Last edited by Karro; 09-28-2009 at 02:56 PM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I must know: is this hand-lettered or done with a font. If with font, I must have your fonts! Reveal to me your secrets!

(Also, repped and rated. This is a very nice water-color style. My only critique: it would be nice to see the forest symbols be more varied in appearance and placement. It looks like maybe there are several trees, but for some reason the way they are placed makes them look very uniform.)
    I did the lettering with a font (a few fonts actually) all freely available from dafont.com, Charlemagne (the directional lettering on the edges and Das Weisse Meer), Deutsche Zierschrift (the gothic block lettering in the Heilegwald title), and DeiGratia for the rest.

I hand drew a set of trees, made a tiling pattern, used the pattern brush to paint on sections of forest, then came back and removed/nudged sections here and there to try and break up the pattern a bit, but I think I should maybe have done a bit more on that. Next time I'm going to try making 2-3 versions of the base pattern, with alternate placements, sizes, and types of trees, layering them all and randomly cutting out layers to up the variety considerably.
    Last edited by Brodiggan; 09-28-2009 at 05:28 PM. Reason: correcting a few badly laid out sentences.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Brodiggan View Post
    I did the lettering with a font (a few fonts actually) all freely available from dafont.com, Charlemagne (the directional lettering on the edges and Das Weisse Meer), Deutsche Zierschrift (the gothic block lettering in the Heilegwald title), and DeiGratia for the rest.

I hand drew a set of trees, made a tiling pattern, used the pattern brush to paint on sections of forest, then came back and removed/nudged sections here and there to try and break up the pattern a bit, but I think I should maybe have done a bit more on that. Next time I'm going to try making 2-3 versions of the base pattern, with alternate placements, sizes, and types of trees, layering them all and randomly cutting out layers to up the variety considerably.
    awesome, thanks! I'd rep you for the fonts, but I already repped you for the map, and cannot again for a while.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

That's a very nice map Broddigan. I especially like the legend there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12