Thread: Northern Continent WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's a pretty good start for your first time through the tutorial. Couple of things I noticed, and these are meant to be constructive criticism's, not bashing.

1) You have a river that runs from coast to coast with no obvious source, that to my knowledge can't happen. The rest of the rivers look good.

2) IIRC it seems that the gradient used to give the basic land colors is off a bit, the transitions don't seem as smooth as they should be.

3) It looks like you may have skipped some steps in the hill and mountain portions of the tutorial - it's been awhile since I used it. I'd suggest going back thru the hill and mountain steps to see if in fact you missed/overlooked something.

4) Your forest appears just to be a solid color and has no texture or layer affects applied.

Keep at it, you'll get the hang of it after a few tries.

@Gregorus Prime - IIRC in this tutorial the lighting comes from the Southeast instead of the Northwest (which is the default for most software), I believe that's why the drop shadow appears backwards.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you for your criticism, I know it's not bashing.

I changed the layout of the landmass, now it does not look that square-cut. I also changed the river although the lake (that was supposed to be in the mountains) was ment to be the source of both rivers. I went through the mountain and hills section step by step but I couldn't find my mistake, yet.
    And I'll try some filters to add some texture to the southern forest.

So, this is the map revised:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Northern Continent Atlas style 2nd.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	324.7 KB 
ID:	17211  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Your lush jungle area in the south looks like you used one big stroke to make it, resulting in the wonky look of it. Try turning down the opacity on your brush and instead of using one big stroke, use dots to dab in some color here and there and not a solid mass.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks, Ascension, I'll try that.

I also found the problem with the mountains, there was a mistake in the lighting effects.