Thread: The United States of McDonalds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post I remember McDonalds of Tokyo in 1978...

When I was 15, I went to Japan with my Mom and sister. After 2 weeks living on mostly Japanese food, we were in Tokyo and noticed a McDonalds - ooh, we were ecstatic (my sister and I). Ordering the usual burger and fries, both my sister and I were surprised to notice no ketchup came with the fries. Asked my Mom (who of course speaks her own native tongue) to get some ketchup. She basically said "tomato sauce"? They poured ketchup from a bottle onto a hard plate, too much really, but they didn't understand.

As my sister and I ate our fries dipped in ketchup - everyone stared at us in awe, before we left there were five sets of people with plates of ketchup. I've never returned, but often wondered if we started a trend in Tokyo, and if they serve ketchup with fries now, officially. Don't really know.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

wow, imagine if all that power was used for good instead of evil! That's an awesome map.

Funny ketchup story too! I would love to travel there.
    Adam Schmidt
    Illustration and Cartography
    http://www.misteradam.com