Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barovia WIP

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Yep. I was using solid black instead of my dark grey. I have the trees separated into multiple layers, so fixing that will be a snap.
    I also experimented a bit with turning a few things into smart layers so I could experiment with some blurring effects - I have to say i like it.

And when I was playing with the country borders, I ended up popping into Illustrator to make them so I could edit the paths with the brushstrokes already applied - and use some of artistic ones to break up the solid lines as well as have the watercolour effect. Turned all those into a smart obect, ran a blur filter on that, and woah

I may end up using the same effect on the trees too, haven't decided yet.

Taking a break from the trees, the wife wants to go see a movie, wether I want to or not.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oh no, chick-flick time. Well, you'll earn some good hubby points at least.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

She surprised me. We ended up going to see Zombieland. Fun flick, I'd watch it again.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I am rather interested in that movie myself...
    But I like serious zombiemovies more than the comedies. How much comedy is this one?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

a fair amount of comedy - but to be honest, I have the same outlook you describe - and it was a very finely balanced mix, all told.

Go watch it, you'll not regret it.

Sorry Barovia is taking so long, life keeps getting in the way and I keep taking breaks from the tedium

My finished maps

Wip

progress! forests have been placed. now for colour work and towns.

I'm probably going to keep it to less than 2 dozen towns or so. From a gaming perspective, since the area is supposed to have a fairly low population I figure they could represent towns of no more than 50 people or so, however, I figure there's gotta be SOME population to support a vampire

Plus the scale on the side is looking a tad more accurate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barovia copy.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	17410  

My finished maps

Wip

Update: everything looks finished but the embellishments. I'll name the bordering countries, drop in the artwork and call it done.

And with the towns representing between 50 to 100 people each, that puts the region at a population of between 900 to 1800 people. Enough to support a castle and vampire, and few enough (and widely dispersed enough) to keep them from banding together to raise arms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barovia copy.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	17411  

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good, my only 'nit-pick' is that the font is so small I can barely read it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, that's a result of me forgetting that i've been shrinking the pic for the WIP posts

thanks for reminding me, I'll adjust that.

My finished maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ah, maybe that's why I thought the trees were so much tinier as well. Looking good, CM

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast