Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Map beginning

Ok Made all the changes except the color change for a more Subartic artic environ ment. Attached is A full map including labels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperium2Test12.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	807.8 KB 
ID:	17422

A Non-lable map, for those that wish to intergrate this into their world.

Name:	Imperium2Test13.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	792.8 KB 
ID:	17423

And a completely clean map, containing just the terain. Incase you want to change it even more.

Name:	Imperium2Test14.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	791.5 KB 
ID:	17424

Steel, Hope this river sys is better the idea is that the 'Witches Haunt Lake' is a collection point in the forest. It then dumps into a tributary of the Falsea.

Rdan, whent ahead and just did a complete road sys instead of soing what my original thought was ( after debating the simple is more rule once again, lol). Also whent ahead and made an outlet for the 'Pool of Stars" as 1. I have a way to get it to a dumping point further east and 2. I lack the skills right now to depict an outlit into the underground.

Hope this version is better.

Future maps include: (4) Smaller regional maps, adding detail and cities to the Principalities of the Empire; County map of Balakovo and surrounding area; Close up map of Balakovo township designed for a VTT.

P.S. Hope the link is cool its just easier for the info since I already got it going on the OP
    Last edited by shantedracule; 10-05-2009 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Forgot Somthing

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The rivers look fine to me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Just as a thought... You wanted to mark cities with "Heraldry Markers".

I agree with the other guys who said "don't use the shield for the city", but I DO think that putting in the Heraldic Markers near the city (and possibly marking in the "shire/province/duchy" borders) and a simple key on a Cartouche is a good plan. If politics will become a big thing in this story, then knowing who owns what, where, for how long and all that sort of thing becomes important. I can't easily dig up a big map I did for a campaign world, but I deliberately put in coats of arms next to cities because the politics was a central plank of the bigger story.

This Might look a bit busy now. Sugestions are always welcomed also let me know where I need to improve.

Name:	Imperium2Test15.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	836.9 KB 
ID:	17445

The major Political Divisions are depicted here, This is the equivalent to grand duchies. The Titles where striped directly from Rusian( though I found one source saying that Tsarvich/Tsarvena was the title for Grand Duke/Duchess but that also stated that they where titles given to the children of the Tsar. Another Sight, believe it was wikipedia said that Korol was the equivelant to the next step down from Tsar, this also denoted that Imperator was another word for Tsar which I think I will be using.) I included a small sample to show the levels of Fieldty, though Vassal States of the Korols will be included in other maps as I still need to outline the family shields for them.

As a moderate dabbler in heraldry I'd suggest you do something very simple that will "un busy" your map a bit.

The people using the map will know that this is a "single kindgom of duchies" correct? If they do, then the easiest trick to denote the ruling family is to add a crown to the top of their crest.

Ruling Family
    [CROWN]
    [ROYAL COLOURS]
    [CREST]

Noble
    [CREST]

It clears up the issue visually, reduces your cartouche and doesn't add in anything that isn't kind of obvious.

Edit = late ideas...

If you are going to do anything with the neighbouring kingdoms, just stick the Royal Crest (with Crowns) out in the edges.

Just as a political thought Medvein is likely to be your 2nd strongest family (or should be) since they basically control lumber in the kingdom. I'd be making your ruling family the ones who control at least: Iron/Copper, Silver/Gold/Precious Gems & large supplies of workable stone. Stiglum and Storgrad will gain any/all of their power from agriculture; they appear to be the bread-basket duchies.
    Last edited by Juggernaut1981; 10-06-2009 at 06:29 PM.

The Idea for the Cartouche was fore thinking when I start geting down into the other areas but now that you mention it I could just as well Leave it be. This map denotes the major players other subsequent maps can be infered upone by this one...Yes, yes that would work.

When I created the map the first time the general idea was to have the capital Duchy control the majority of the mineral resources Being right near a mountain. Medvain was indead going to have the lumber trade as well as some animal husbandry. The southernmost area was going to be agricultural to a point but also be riddled with Ruins from a lost civilization. The eastern Duchy while not being the capital of the religious tradition was going to have the major religious training areas (in addition to agriculture).

Another few notes, due to the rather Xenophobic nature of this kingdom, Stiglum was going to have a large build up of military troops as most other kingdoms fall south by south east of this one.

I was also planning on small border conflicts within the kingdom (E.G. Stiglum cuting trees along the border and Medvein claiming poaching)

So I will probaly wind up using the Shield idea for a Feudal tree; showing the full relations with in the kingdom.

Just another moment in Geo-politics...
    There doesn't seem to be a good reason for the position of the Stiglum-Storgrad border to not be the river. Most duchies are bounded by natural borders (rivers, mountains, hills, forests, roads)...

Yes, I am possibly the "Geo-Politics Police"... if the Admins want to add a badge to me... I'll take that one...

**Puts on imperious voice** Your nations are in breach of protocols! Please adjust them immediately!

Hmm... get the feeling it won't get so far...

No your completely right. Storgrads border should be extended to include all of that grassland area, and Stingems border needs its terminus more at the river. That is somthing I do try and follow my self Hence Stiglums bordes ending at the Forest edge.

Any who thanks for pointing that out

Ok, Whent ahead and deleted the Excess notation on the shields and the legend refering to them. After consideration Decided that since the map has the Kingdom Flag on it and that the Imperial Family uses the exact same crest, that it would be redundant to use any excess marking. Reworked the borders so that they matched the land more Geo-politicaly. Also used a smaller stroke on them. Turned out to give the area a sinse of larger scale.

Here it is:

Name:	Imperium2Test16.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	831.3 KB 
ID:	17481

Let me know if anything is out of sorts. Just reiterating I am new to Digi-mapping, and would like to become skilled at this.

*notes that this will sound nit-picky*
    I'm not sure if you've posted and older WIP. Your duchy border down south (below the Pool of Stars) wanders all over the river/water/lake and kinda seems to not make massive sense. I'd be thinking that the borders would follow the river (with the border on one side of the river because someone would want to "own" it - I suspect it would go to Storgrad just like the Pool of Stars belongs to Storgrad).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast