Thread: Island map for computer game

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Before I'd consider making a map I would want to know a few bits...

#1 Which races have a history of friendliness? Which have an "on again off again" relationship? Which have a long-standing hatred?

#2 Are any of the races "off-shoots" of another... i.e. Are Goblins midget jungle Orcs? Are Goblins "Jungle Dwarves"? Are elves "forest humans", etc...

I did sift through them a little, haven't yet found something that has everything, and a little uncomfortable with re-using something that's been used elsewhere. There's a bit of distaste in the computer games world about reusing artwork

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    #1 Which races have a history of friendliness? Which have an "on again off again" relationship? Which have a long-standing hatred?
    Ah, since it's a game about changing history, that's for the player to decide. A lot of the game is about using diplomacy to fine tune a civilization. Sometimes it's advantageous to start wars to make a race stronger and force them into arms wars. Sometimes they conflict over territory or resources, sometimes a war spawns an alliance.

Generally, goblins are unfriendly with everyone, but at the bottom of the food chain. Orcs and humans are aggressive and get into a lot of wars, but humans also get into a lot of alliances.

So, all of them are in an "on again off again" relationship. It's the player's role to decide.

#2 Are any of the races "off-shoots" of another... i.e. Are Goblins midget jungle Orcs? Are Goblins "Jungle Dwarves"? Are elves "forest humans", etc...
    All of them are designed to be unique. Orcs are descended from goblins and appear a bit late into the game but they're bigger, stronger, and have a very different culture.

Since we're on races, I think how they live would be a bit relevant, since it's somewhat different from other fantasy worlds.
    Humans build houses on the ground, live in them, and protect themselves with walls.
    Dwarves dig their homes out of the mountains and hills, using the mountains as natural walls.
    Elves refuse to cut down trees, so they build their homes on top of trees and defend themselves with ranged weapons.
    Goblins build simple underground fortresses filled with traps. But their real population centers are in less obvious places away from these fortresses.
    Orcs live in jungle areas above ground, but eagerly slash and burn forests to clear grounds for houses. They hold the "a good offense is the best defense" principle and neglect to defend their cities.